Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, has anyone had to change a thermostat due to overheating problem. Mine is still overheating, I guess the best thing to do is to remove it and check it. Anyone had a similar problem... fans are always on while riding, then the temp light goes on, when I then shut it down the fans keep running for around 30 seconds. No codes stored. HELP
Chuck
RIP 4 play

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
Refill the radiator at the coolant fill cap, and at the overflow bottle, start it up and let it idle till it comes up to temp, then carefully crack open the air bleed screw under the lower airbox cover between the radiator cap and the overflow bottle, just enough to burp any air out. Tighten it all back up and let it idle and see if the fans cycle on and off as they should. If that is good go ride and if it overheats then it could be the thermostat, the cam gear pully bolt being loose, or a blown head gasket.

Mike

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head gasket

Elgavilan said:
Refill the radiator at the coolant fill cap, and at the overflow bottle, start it up and let it idle till it comes up to temp, then carefully crack open the air bleed screw under the lower airbox cover between the radiator cap and the overflow bottle, just enough to burp any air out. Tighten it all back up and let it idle and see if the fans cycle on and off as they should. If that is good go ride and if it overheats then it could be the thermostat, the cam gear pully bolt being loose, or a blown head gasket.

Mike
If it was a pully bolt woudn't I be able to hear that, and a head gasket would show white smoke and milky oil?

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
The cam pully bolt is on the alternator side and is pretty easy to reach, just have to pull the alternator cover. You might be able to hear the bolt rubbing the cover. Head gasket can make it blow smoke, or blow all the antifreeze out of the overflow bottle, or displace antifreeze in the motor and run real hot. Since you have run nitrous check the pulley bolt first if not that I would be thinking you may have pushed a head gasket on a nitrous run. Check the easy stuff first.

Mike

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happened before

Elgavilan said:
The cam pully bolt is on the alternator side and is pretty easy to reach, just have to pull the alternator cover. You might be able to hear the bolt rubbing the cover. Head gasket can make it blow smoke, or blow all the antifreeze out of the overflow bottle, or displace antifreeze in the motor and run real hot. Since you have run nitrous check the pulley bolt first if not that I would be thinking you may have pushed a head gasket on a nitrous run. Check the easy stuff first.

Mike
The same thing happened about a month ago, no nitrious then and I have only had the nitrious for a few days and haven't really got into it. I think I will pull the themostat and test it. Like you said the easy stuff first. Thanks for your help! RIDE FAST BUT SAFE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts