Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAX...HELP!!! :notworth:

I'm sure you recall my not starting post. I changed my solenoid this weekend, and still the same problem. Sometimes she fires right up, sometimes she just make a light clicking sound (solenoid chatter?).
Do you think it could be my starter? What are the symptoms of a dying starter?
I checked the electrical connections on the solenoid and the starter, and all seem fine. I followed the 2 wires up into the side cover and they merge with a huge bundle of other wires. I'm not sure where I could have a loose contact. The solenoid is getting 12.6 volts on the top while it's just sitting there.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are you getting power to the solenoid coil? These are the SMALL terminals on the solenoid.

If you are not getting voltage here each time you push the starter button, you most likely have a defective starter relay. Swap with another relay and see if that fixes it?

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Quick question...where's the starter relay located? I'll check the voltage on the small terminals tonight and see what it does.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Starter relay is under the airbox in the power distribution area. You can swap the starter relay with the fan relay and see how it works. If it cures the ill, then get a new relay. They're cheap.

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Will do. I'm hoping that cures it. This is starting to give me the feeling that my starter is dying.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
if you have a service manual it shows exactly where the starter relay is :thumb:

I tried to scan the page for you but without ripping the page out I couldn't get a good scan.

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opened up the air box cover and guess what!....it was marked "Starter relay" "Fan Relay". :)
I switched the two out, and it fired right up. When I switched them back again, it fired right up. That's the only problem. It doesn't fail to start all the time, just some times.
I did deduce that that's where I'm hearing the clicking from when it doesn't start. I was wondering why the clicking was coming from under the front of the seat. Would that clicking mean a bad relay.

Lakedrunk, thanks for attempting to scan. I do have a service manual though :) It's an '03 service manual, but it's pretty dead on for my '02!

Oh, BTW Lakedrunk..I was just in your neighborhood in August. Flew into St. Louis, then rode out to the powerboat shootout.

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
Hey cjohnson... you enjoy the shootout? Two weekends ago we had the Offshore Super Series. Imagine the Shootout but better!

Hey, dumb question but what is the condition of your battery and or cables/connections? Usually a relay will "chatter" like that when it is not getting adequate voltage to stay on... like when you are trying to start it with a bad battery. I'd first check the battery cables for a loose connection - which could cause the intermentent problem, then use a voltmeter to check the voltage on the relay when you get it to "click" and not start. Would help eliminate the relay or isolate it either way. The typical failure mode of a relay is to stick (terminals arc shut/open). You don't typically see relays fail in the way you describe, but one never knows... good luck and hit us MO fella's up if you head back to the lake next year!

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks aneal000. I'll check the connections between the relay and the battery. The battery is brand new and the connections to the battery are tight. I'll check the other connections.
What are the symptoms of a dying starter? I'm really starting to get concerned that my starter is going. I'm sure HD will charge me a small fortune for that.
I can't say the speed boats are all that exciting for me. We rent a pontoon boat, and tie in out there. The boats are cool, but the party is a blast! They said the boats were tied together for over 5 miles this year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
What are the symptoms of a dying starter? I'm really starting to get concerned that my starter is going.
I would dismiss the notion of a bad starter. It would be a highly unusual failure.

It is normal to hear a click from any mechanical relay. As stated, it should not chatter, just a single click. I would replace the starter relay. In swapping it out you may have jarred a dirty or failing contact, and it will work for a while. It is only five bucks or so to change the relay and is most likely the problem.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If the starter was bad you would get no clicking. THe clicking is low voltage or a failed component like the relay or solenoid. You really need to get a DVM meter and start checking voltage when it doesn't start. The odds are you have no voltage going to the starter motor. If you know anything about mechanics you can always runa hot cable to the starter and touch it to the battery to verify the starter is good. I only suggest this to people that know what they are doing though.

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:diablo: Actually Max, I accidentally did that when changing out the solenoid. I had the bike in neutral, and on the lift, so it just startled me. I disconnected the top lead from the solenoid, and when I was disconnecting the bottom the wrench shorted the two and the started kicked. So I guess it's not the starter. This weekend I'm going to tear the bike apart and check every electrical connection!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
cjohnson said:
:diablo: Actually Max, I accidentally did that when changing out the solenoid. I had the bike in neutral, and on the lift, so it just startled me. I disconnected the top lead from the solenoid, and when I was disconnecting the bottom the wrench shorted the two and the started kicked. So I guess it's not the starter. This weekend I'm going to tear the bike apart and check every electrical connection!
Did I mention always disconnect the battery when working on this system. :)

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL...thanks Max. I've already come to that conclusion by my self. :)

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changed the relay, and she fires every time now. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
that others may live
93 Posts
I'm fishing around for the answer to my starting problem. I disassembled my '03 to get the frame powder coated. I have FINALLY! (after well over a year) gotten it all back together. The first time I went to crank, I only got clicks. That was an easy fix b/c it turned out to be the wires going to the terminals on the starter solenoid were installed backwards. Once I reversed the wires, the starter cranked like a champ. And cranked, and cranked, and cranked, but no start. I pulled the rear plug coil, stuck a screwdriver in it, cranked the bike, and did not get a spark. Could I have damaged the starter solenoid when the wires were reversed or am I missing something else? I swapped the starter relay but saw no difference. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrodav8r said:
I'm fishing around for the answer to my starting problem. I disassembled my '03 to get the frame powder coated. I have FINALLY! (after well over a year) gotten it all back together. The first time I went to crank, I only got clicks. That was an easy fix b/c it turned out to be the wires going to the terminals on the starter solenoid were installed backwards. Once I reversed the wires, the starter cranked like a champ. And cranked, and cranked, and cranked, but no start. I pulled the rear plug coil, stuck a screwdriver in it, cranked the bike, and did not get a spark. Could I have damaged the starter solenoid when the wires were reversed or am I missing something else? I swapped the starter relay but saw no difference. Thanks in advance for your help!
Spark to the rear coil has really little to do with the starter. The spark is generated by the ecm which takes data from the crank position sensor. I suggest you check for codes first. If you have a loss of spark it should set a code, if you have a sensor wrong or not plugged in it should also set a code.

·
that others may live
93 Posts
Max said:
Spark to the rear coil has really little to do with the starter. The spark is generated by the ecm which takes data from the crank position sensor. I suggest you check for codes first. If you have a loss of spark it should set a code, if you have a sensor wrong or not plugged in it should also set a code.
Checked codes - none shown.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have you checked all your fuses to make sure they are good ?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts