Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Brett
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing an engine vibration on my 2003 Rod for a few years now, it comes in around 3500rpm and increases through the rev range. It goes through the bars, pegs, and seat. It goes away when clutched and can be produced stationary free revving. I've replaced front & rear engine mounts, replace clutch pack, changed exhaust,inspected every inch of the bike for rubbing components, even different tunes without success. The vibration started when I launched pretty hard once felt a slight thud and has slowly gotten worst over time. Also have looked for cracks in the frame. Need help.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
try leaving airbox cover off and check coolant pipes for clearance?blocked muffler or loose baffles.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Is there any way for the balancer to get out of time? I've not gotten into that yet with the Revolution but that's symptom of the big twin B motors if the sprocket slips on the crank and the timing of the weights are off.
Ron

·
Registered
737 Posts
Was one of the main reasons I sold the old 1340 Evo - I know how frustrating something like that can be. The Evos were very poor from an engine balance perspective, so the factory put out a couple of fairly comprehensive checklists over time. Might be useful from a generic diagnostic perspective.

It was listed as Service Bulletin M-1324. Can't find a working link at the moment unfortunately.

·
Noel
4,631 Posts
One linger thought related to my old 2004 VROD, but this was a rare 4.25 bore, 1320cc wiseco pistons with broken skirts, there was a harmonic vibration at certain RPM's as the pistons resonated making a racket that I had for months wrote off as midrange poor tuning flat spot, etc.

Again, your dealing with a stock 2003, high miles??? so I do not think that's your problem, but still a bad tune on open intake, top-less and low restriction exhaust might cause some of this noise too, did the noise increase subsequent to certain mod's??

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Is there any way for the balancer to get out of time? I've not gotten into that yet with the Revolution but that's symptom of the big twin B motors if the sprocket slips on the crank and the timing of the weights are off.
Ron
Figured they were keyed up pretty stout. Just a passing thought.
Ron

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Are both cyls hitting evenly as in same compression. This could be varified with a leakdown test or starting it on one cyl with the gauge on the other. Rpms are needed to take the releases out of the picture. Not the text book methon to do a compression test but it would show a gross error. This is commonly done when checking S&S EASYSTART cams on the big twins. A leakdown test reveils all and a better method. Throttle body sync is worth a check too.
Ron

·
Noel
4,631 Posts
Throttle body sync is worth a check too.
Ron
Also look at the Throttle shafts, stock TB's are less prone to failure, but that's not to say it's impossible. :deal:

Also this would be classified as a Rattle, not a vibration, but thought I'd mention it while you continue the hunt

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I would look at valve timing. Read thru the SM procedure for verifying can timing. My rear intake cam was off on tooth and I had a light vibration around the same RPM.

·
Brett
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One linger thought related to my old 2004 VROD, but this was a rare 4.25 bore, 1320cc wiseco pistons with broken skirts, there was a harmonic vibration at certain RPM's as the pistons resonated making a racket that I had for months wrote off as midrange poor tuning flat spot, etc.

Again, your dealing with a stock 2003, high miles??? so I do not think that's your problem, but still a bad tune on open intake, top-less and low restriction exhaust might cause some of this noise too, did the noise increase subsequent to certain mod's??
Its not really a high Km bike 45000kms or 27900 miles.Theres no actual noise just a vibration and I've had it dyno'd.

·
Brett
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guys,I'll check the valve timing & throttle body.If no luck I might put all back to original & start from scratch.Getting tired of tail chasing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ron
My 2003 vrod had vibration, when I replaced shifter actuator I noticed timing Mark's off by two teeth realigned to timing Mark's put bike back together, had bike up to 95mph must of fixed it because had no vibration. Bike must of came from factory like that or previous owner messed up
I've been chasing an engine vibration on my 2003 Rod for a few years now, it comes in around 3500rpm and increases through the rev range. It goes through the bars, pegs, and seat. It goes away when clutched and can be produced stationary free revving. I've replaced front & rear engine mounts, replace clutch pack, changed exhaust,inspected every inch of the bike for rubbing components, even different tunes without success. The vibration started when I launched pretty hard once felt a slight thud and has slowly gotten worst over time. Also have looked for cracks in the frame. Need help.
Timing Mark's might be off, mine was 2003 vrod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts