Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly repairing my 2009 Muscle engine (off of bike). The frame has been sitting for 8 months with front tire in a chock and the rear tire off the ground via wooden block at rear of frame w/ left frame rail removed. I just reinstalled the engine and left side frame rail and put the bike back on both tires. The steering seemed jammed straight ahead. I managed to get it to move full stop-to-stop, but its very stiff to turn. It will turn easily about +/- 5 degrees from where ever I position it, but stiff to re-position. It seems like its getting easier the more I turn it. Is there something I may have done wrong or need to look at?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I've been slowly repairing my 2009 Muscle engine (off of bike). The frame has been sitting for 8 months with front tire in a chock and the rear tire off the ground via wooden block at rear of frame w/ left frame rail removed. I just reinstalled the engine and left side frame rail and put the bike back on both tires. The steering seemed jammed straight ahead. I managed to get it to move full stop-to-stop, but its very stiff to turn. It will turn easily about +/- 5 degrees from where ever I position it, but stiff to re-position. It seems like its getting easier the more I turn it. Is there something I may have done wrong or need to look at?
Sounds like rusted bearings in the races. Bike outside by chance?
Ron

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, in a garage the whole time and things do not typically rust in my garage. I live in North Texas so humidity is not bad.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No, in a garage the whole time and things do not typically rust in my garage. I live in North Texas so humidity is not bad.
Water was probably already in the bearings before you parked it up. Notorious for being undergreased from factory. Strip it and fit new bearings and pack them with marine grease. No more problems after.

·
VRSC est -03
2,703 Posts
Sounds like rust/lack of lube. 10 yrs old bike, time for checking out condition of neck bearings...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any special tools required to check out & re-lubricate the bearings?

BTW, I applied some WD40 to the joints last night (as best I could) and this morning the steering is significantly looser. Not quite back the way it was, but close. This confirms it was a bearing issue and that I do need to pack some grease in the bearings.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Any special tools required to check out & re-lubricate the bearings?
I seriously doubt you will get away with re-lubricating with what you described. Pretty sure you will need to replace them. To strip it down to inspect no special tools required but getting the old bearings out can sometimes be difficult. Do a search on here, there are a few threads on how to tackle the job, you will need to adjust the fallaway once reassembled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts