Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like this happened overnight but one morning I got up to ride my VRSCDX and the steering seemed really tight. It feels like it has a built in steering dampner from hell on it! Is there a adjuster that could have come loose or something? My dealer said it could be condensation in the steering bearing which may have caused it to go bad. My bike does stay outside covered up. Anybody know what's going on? Also, the dealer said it may be quite expensive fix if it's water in the steering head.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
same here on my 08dxa...will bring it to dealer soon...i have the extended warranty but last season i complained of the clunking issue (fall away adj.) they said it was a maintenance issue :bs:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same here on my 08dxa...will bring it to dealer soon...i have the extended warranty but last season i complained of the clunking issue (fall away adj.) they said it was a maintenance issue :bs:
Word. I don't see how something like water getting in the steering head could happen. Shouldn't this be sealed up thight? I leave my '08 Hayabusa outside covered also and have no problem with it. My $17000 Harley VRod can't be left outside? If this is the case Harley engineering sucks. I took it to the dealer this morning, I hope they call me back and say it just needed adjusting. lol

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I'll bet the bearings have very little grease, this seems to be an issue with the Vrods. :2cents:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet the bearings have very little grease, this seems to be an issue with the Vrods. :2cents:
Cool. Thanks for the info. They have to take the front end apart to fix correct?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes if they repack or replace the bearings.
Cool. Greg would you know the average cost of repacking the bearings and also the cost of replacing them if needed? I just want to get an idea before they call me back with their estimate.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i can tell you the bearings are the same as used in all harleys and are relitively cheap.they come from the factory with very little grease packed into them.the races can be a bit tricky removing from the frame but with the right tools it is an easy job for a competent mechanic.probably two hours work when doing the fork oils at the same time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can tell you the bearings are the same as used in all harleys and are relitively cheap.they come from the factory with very little grease packed into them.the races can be a bit tricky removing from the frame but with the right tools it is an easy job for a competent mechanic.probably two hours work when doing the fork oils at the same time.
Cool. Thanks!

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Ihad my bearing replaced at the 2 year mark under warrenty. It was pulling teeth from an eating lion. The only reason they did it for free was I had my frist service done at the dealership. I called BS but they said headset bearings are a normal wear item. Again I called BS. But did have them change fork oil while in there. They did that for free cause the tech stripped the allen screws and they had to fix them. Anyway my bearings went bad because I asked about fallaway and some goon made them very tight. I had to fix it so it was rideable with no memory steer. This was done when they changed the fork nut.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on bike: The tech from the shop called me back and said that my steering bearings were rusted out and that was the issue I had with the tight steering. He said it was no fault of mine and that they are going to fix it for free. I'm not use to the Harley shop doing anything for free. Sounds like a recall issue or something. lol

Also, I asked him how much replacing the bearing would cost if they were charging me and he said $318.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update on bike: The tech from the shop called me back and said that my steering bearings were rusted out and that was the issue I had with the tight steering. He said it was no fault of mine and that they are going to fix it for free. I'm not use to the Harley shop doing anything for free. Sounds like a recall issue or something. lol

Also, I asked him how much replacing the bearing would cost if they were charging me and he said $318.
I am having the same exact problem on my 08dx. Hopefully I am just as lucky. Thanks for the post

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am having the same exact problem on my 08dx. Hopefully I am just as lucky. Thanks for the post
No problem. Good luck. By the way, my new steering head bearings are so full of grease I can see it! I shouldn't have this problem again for quite some time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts