Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this question on the R forum because the triple clamps and gauge cluster are unique. I have a thunking noise in this area going over significant bumps that sounds like the head bearing is loose yet I checked that tightened down to specs. I can’t find anything else loose in the fork assembly either. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

· Registered
44 Posts
Read the following thread and especially pay attention to post #7. That is my post explaining what I found associated with the "Clunk".

I adjusted the fallaway several times over the course of 10,000 miles. It felt tight but actually wasn't due to what I found in the steering head.

· Registered
6,471 Posts
I ask this question on the R forum because the triple clamps and gauge cluster are unique. I have a thunking noise in this area going over significant bumps that sounds like the head bearing is loose yet I checked that tightened down to specs. I can’t find anything else loose in the fork assembly either. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.
Could be damaged races and bearings. I'd replace both sets. First of all, keep in mind that sound can come from two places. Loose head bearing adjustment or wallowed races as well as some of that clunking can be from the space in the hole of the top triple clamp to stem fit. Using the updated nut offers a bit more torque to minimize the slip in that area to prevent the stem from slapping the clearance in the hole. Google Harley wide glide clunk. It explains this trait where there is a lack of friction between the top of clamp to the star nut. What you R guys have going against you is that aluminum stem. The threads stretch over time and won't hold the set fall away. Some have made steel stems which solves the problem completely.
Ron

· Registered
6,471 Posts
What is that exactly?

Excuse my level of English, my level is still somewhere between neanderthal and caveman
Basically it's the clearance in the hole in the top clamp that slips over the stem. That small clearance if not held snug via friction from the top nut will make quite a loud bang or snap sound going over sharp bumps. Some have used thin brass shim stock to take up that clearance in the bore to stem fit to reduce the noise.
Ron

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like mine is acting like the bearings are not properly seated. Everything I have done assumes they were. It’s frustrating that factory QA would not eliminate that as a problem but I will take it all apart and make sure it is put back together square. Thanks for your insights
Basically it's the clearance in the hole in the top clamp that slips over the stem. That small clearance if not held snug via friction from the top nut will make quite a loud bang or snap sound going over sharp bumps. Some have used thin brass shim stock to take up that clearance in the bore to stem fit to reduce the noise.
Ron
Good info. I will check that top clamp for play before I take everything apart. That could save a lot of time and trouble.

· VRSC est -03
3,677 Posts
Read the following thread and especially pay attention to post #7. That is my post explaining what I found associated with the "Clunk".
My "R" has also upgraded steel stem and nut.
By chance, this ring turned out to fit perfectly between the stem and the top yoke:
Since then, "clunk" free days.
Font Rim Tin Circle Fashion accessory

· Registered
6,471 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
YOU might have an Aluminum Triple Tree Stem
I do on my 06 D- I upgraded to the new flanged nut. fixed clunk.
Torques it better

* SERVICE BULLETIN M-1215 STEERING STEM NUT KIT- REPLACEMENT
06-08 VRSC Models with Aluminum Triple Tree Stem new flanged nut 8193 kit 45736-07

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts