Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VRSC est -03
2,628 Posts
Yep, did it to my dx some years back. Got it thru V-mod when they were still in business.
Question; is it really necessary?
Depends of the quality & condition of the road. If the road is in decent shape the answer is no, not needed. Rought bad shape potholes road? Yes it helps, keeps the bike a tad more stable.
If you`re going to fit a damper make sure that the bike is in good condition -neck bearings, engine mounts, shocks, wheel bearings etc - because the damper will mask worn components.

·
"Vrod King"
871 Posts
Three of mine have steering dampers. Our roads are like crap here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 03, an 06, and still have an 08. The 06 Street Rod shook like a dog shitting barbed wire over 80 mph. The others were perfectly straight. Different steering geometry. Less rake and shorter tubes.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
That's weird Shrinkitup ! my '06 StreetRod runs like it's on rails to 135+ Mph - I've never had a head shake at any speed EVER - are you sure the front ( & rear ) tires were running true, not cupping, separating, properly balanced, and steering head bearings were good & fall away adjustment was correct ? Front & rear suspension in good shape and adjusted properly ? Something other than the initial design of the bikes tighter rake and actually longer total fork travel ( taller suspension front & rear ) has gotta be at fault there. I will say when I got my R my forks were way stiff on compression damping and rear shock preload way soft which made the bike squat down in the rear and made the steering a higher effort at speed but I never got a wobble - fork oil change to 5 wt and cranked up shock preload and she turned much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fall away was correct. Head bearings were tightened correctly. Tires only had 1000 miles on them, etc. I later put the B bars and A hoses and cables to make it more upright. I didn't run it 100 mph after that. Maybe it was wheel balance. I sold it a bit later so I never checked it. I did enjoy the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Possible one of the wheels may have thrown a set of weights as well - if they don't clean the wheel properly when installed they don't always stay on, sealing edges with non corrosive RTV really makes them last till the next ire change as well - Ride On !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts