Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
electric soup
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right dudes, I ramble on!....................what's the verdict on nailing down the front end is it a steering damper or a fork brace?

I see storz have a nice looking steering damper (VRSCXnelly is that what you have?) and the options on a fork brace look like superbrace or HD screaming eagle (anyone had any fit issues with either of these?)

·
151 Posts
scottish R said:
right dudes, I ramble on!....................what's the verdict on nailing down the front end is it a steering damper or a fork brace?

I see storz have a nice looking steering damper (VRSCXnelly is that what you have?) and the options on a fork brace look like superbrace or HD screaming eagle (anyone had any fit issues with either of these?)
Gus - Hope you had a great time in Spain. Really wanted to go but work issues etc got in the way. Anyway the steering damper I have I got from V-Mod. Has 7 settings and makes quite a difference I can tell you. I also fancy fitting the fork brace as well and will probably get round to that shortly.

Hope that helps.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
scottish R said:

You got a picture of the Storz, I don't like the V-Mod one too much. looks like it sticks out miles

·
151 Posts
It does stick out too much. In fact if not careful when doing a slow left full lock turn it can dig into your foot. Caught me a couple of times but I am aware of the issue and thus it doesn't happen.
I suppose since they are for straightline use mainly then this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Killing you? Remember these "cruisers" are capable of some decent speeds. Mine wobbles enough to scare me over 120 mph. I'm thinking of doing something as well. Does anyone have any pics of one on a silver framed bike, I don't know if it's just all the black in the background, but the one in the pic stands out a little too much for me aesthetically. The dealer seems to think that the 1000 mile service they are doing right now will correct it but of course they aren't going to test it at that speed.

P.S. What top speeds are you guys seeing? Before I installed the Supertrapp, PCIII and K&N I got it up to 135ish and my shift light lit up in 5th and scared me and I got off of it. (it comes on at 8400, to allow for my delayed reactions) Not a very comfortable bike to run at these speeds I'll honestly say. I do think, I'm actually sure of it that the bike will redline in 5th gear. A six speed would make this a 160mph bike without mods. other than the fact that you'd get sucked off of it.

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
I'm a little confused about the need for a steering damper, also. With a rake as steep as ours, wouldn't that keep it pretty stable? If you have wobble issues, I would want to correct the source, not treat the symptom. Mine is rock steady all the way to 140mph, er, I think that's what it says. Hard to read at that speed when you're hanging on for dear life. I don't think I would want the damper in those pics hanging off my bike, either. I regularly hit over 100mph and haven't seen the need for any kind of stabilizer. I've heard good things about superbrace, etc. Maybe that would do the trick.

:kaz:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
You're right actually. There must be a reason it wobbles at high speed. They said they will do a fall-away and go over the steering with a fine toothed comb. Hanging on for dear life is a good analogy, even laying over the tank the ergonomics are pretty bad at really high speed, my pucker factor was maxed out and thoughts of watching the speedo or the tach are almost out the window. I have an X-11 helmet and the shaking going on with my head was still insane, I think the bike just stuffs air into you in some really bad ways, as well as just the force of the wind hitting you naturally. I won't be at those speeds very often, but ringing it out on an open straight away is one of the little things that makes life worth living.

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
I was having bad wobble untill I went with the SuperBrace and Metz all the way around. Now its smooth as owl's $h!t on a tin roof.

·
Scotty
1,247 Posts
Wobbles

I dont have any problems with my old girl. I regularly drag it and never encountered and problems with it. I know the steering head needed adjustment earlier than my previous B model but other than that nothing....

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
What ever happend w the wobble after the service?

I run mine real hard,I've burried the speedo more than 50 times.
Last Sunday I rode w some RR's and was wot most of the time for a 19 mile long smooth twisty road and the only problem I had was keeping it stuck in the curves w the metz rear tire,it took me on the side of the seat and pushing real hard on the bars.I made the bastard stick without any wobbling at all.

A little off here but the one guy I ride w has a severly modified Ninja that will enter the curves at 180+,then in the apex and straight up he rolls on till he burries 220! Friggin Rice Rockets just amaze me.
BTW we are all over 50 years old.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts