Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my F into the dealer because I was hearing a rattle in the front end with just over 4K on the bike they adjusted the steering head bolt & it was fixed? then 200 miles later it came back I brought it back & was told adjustments were not covered under the 2 year warrantee?????? So they tried to charge me for the adjustment 1 hour labor? I made a big stink & told them I had no problem paying for a service if it fixed the problem but the noise was still there. He got furious & said he could not let the bike leave if the service was not paid for. I replied fine I will schedule another appointment and you can have another crack at it. His reply was no we will do it right now, 20 min later he takes it for a test ride says everything is all set & tries to charge me for the 1 hour labor???? I told them i would be glad to pay them the 1/2 hour labor for the adjustment & they looked at me like I had two heads???? Maybe the average customer that walks into a dealer has money to waste but not I. Needless to say I am looking for a qualified V-Rod tech in the N.E area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You need to learn what flat rate is.This is how the automotive business has been setup since day one.If you don't understand what flat rate is,or can't bring yourself to pay flat rate,get a manual,necessary tools and do the work yourself.

·
james
601 Posts
the stealership is another fifty dollars from me on wensday. they are going to fix my clutch switch, so i can start the bike with clutch pulled in and rear brake switch. they are triing to squeeze me for 300 for the back tire. i told them i can still see the shading of the tread i can still get a nother couple hundred out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
2nd adjustment should have been covered under the failing of the first adjustment. Dealer should also have gave you a price for the repair and not stating we charge for time as that is asking for problems and having you wait will cause that for sure!

Flat rate is the time from a big book from the factory stating how long jobs should take. It does tend to work out in the long run. Just doesn't feel that way.

As Elrod says get the book and DIY. Lots of guys around to help on this site.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nothing should be a surprise at the dealership. At least an estimate should be given to you as a ball park to expect.

Personally, I wouldn't take issue with a flat rate and understand that concept. We need dealerships to stay in business. It may take 40 minutes but the flat rate charge covers an hour. O.K. if you tell me that ahead of time what the estimate will be. I just want a reasonable rate and good work. Sounds like you were may have really been missing he good work part.

I also believe if they did not fix it the first time and claim it was, it should be fixed for free or at least a discounted rate agreed upon with you ahead of time. It depends on the situation.

Good luck finding a good dealer. I had issues and tried the next closest dealer and found they do an outstanding job! Night and day compared to the local dealer I bought my bike from.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
what BS!

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
I got my master cylinder and clutch res covers replaced for seeping the other week. And guess what? Both the brake and clutch were left below the low level line on fluid levels and the idiot didnt tighten either of the caps properly and they were both seeping the next day. Had to take em both off and fill em up and then put them on properly so now neither leaks.

Of course mine was warranty work and didnt cost me anything but I can atest to the poor poor work that gets done. Thats why they dont touch my bike unless its warranty and i do the rest.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can see that happening. Sorry it did.

I would do my own work if I had the skill set. I don't. So I go to a dealer.

No one has to agree, but I stand behind the flat rate system. I think it is a basic concept. It is an average after an extensive study, and to some the fairest way to charge for work on a large scale basis. Some technicians may take longer, some may not. We know up front what the bill will be though.

If the dealers went out of business, we wouldn't have the bikes or parts we need. Those dealers that are just bad, need to go out of business. I do believe there are a good amount of good ones out there.

Best Regards

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
d_lange, you don't give yourself enough credit. If you can screw in a lightbulb you can do all your routine services at the very least.

·
james
601 Posts
you know the dearlership replaced my back brake switch. the moment i went to use the back brakes i had to push it all the way forward. that sucks when i am short. so i took it back and asked if they blead the brakes after they changed the switch. they told me that the switch has nothing to do with my brake pedal.i don't know but i swear when i loss that switch last time i loss my brake pedal as well.i could be crazy, i don't know.

·
Registered
394 Posts
To the original poster: Consider yourself lucky that they were willing to do it right away, got it right, and most of all that the shop rate is just $50 per hour!

·
Registered
164 Posts
screw the stealership. do all you can to learn how to work on your own bike. only deal with the stealers for warranty essentials. if absolutely necessary. otherwise stay away from the place. overpriced labor, most salespeople dont know much about the product line, overpriced parts, some techs only know old school air cooled ways of doing things and are lost when dealing with electronic programming with fuel injection and anything involving a computer. and an enviroment where most hang out in the parking lot or starbucks rather than actually riding. the dealership experience for me is one i try to avoid. hopefully its better for others

·
09 VRSCDX
22 Posts
As far as HD dealers and their flat rates go,its bs.Im getting the stage 2 kit and 26t pulley with new belt and a dyno tune.I thought i would ring around and see which stealer could do it cheaper.1st dealer quoted $1200 to do the lot,.,the 2nd $1300 to $1500 but no dyno tune because its running a pcv,tried to sell me a sert. 3rd can do the lot for $1800 but said it could be more in the end!These are all official HD in sydney,Australia.Same installs but varying costs,whats that about?:stac::stac::stac:it stinks,that what.!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just do it all yourself it saves a ton and you learn how to fix your own stuff. I'm pretty local to you if you need a hand or screw up bad :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts