Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the part # for the stator wire seal that seals where the wire goes through the alternator cover? Mine is leaking quite a bit and I need to replace it.

Is replacing this seal difficult?

Thanks in advance.

It's for an 05 1250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Sorry I dont have the part number but to answer the other question, no its not difficult to change, just takes some of your time.

I looked in my 04 parts book and I cant find the item listed by itself. You may have to call a place like Zanottis for help, I've emailed them before when I couldnt find a number and they were very helpful.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
I only have an 2007 Parts manual, but from what I see that seal, or wire grommet, is not available as a seperate item. From the drawing it looks like it is molded to the stator assembly wiring.

If that is the case, and it is not available as a seperate item, I think I would disassemble, clean it up and then reassemble with some pliable, semi hardening sealer.

If you can get just the grommet, it looks like you wil need to remove the connector, to slip the grommet over the wires. If you slit the grommet to get it on, I would think you would be better off sealing your intact one.
 

·
Not Dead Yet
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Joseph said:
Sorry I dont have the part number but to answer the other question, no its not difficult to change, just takes some of your time.

I looked in my 04 parts book and I cant find the item listed by itself. You may have to call a place like Zanottis for help, I've emailed them before when I couldnt find a number and they were very helpful.....
Mine just started to leak also. (I started a thread and then found you here.)
-Is the area behind the seal filled with oil when the engine is stopped or just when it is running?
-Is it pressurized?
-Any preferred gasket sealent?
-
 

·
Not Dead Yet
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
bikerabbi said:
Mine just started to leak also. (I started a thread and then found you here.)
-Is the area behind the seal filled with oil when the engine is stopped or just when it is running?
-Is it pressurized?
-Any preferred gasket sealent?
-
Is the stator itself supposed to hold back the oil so that it does not even get into the case where the wires exit the casing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
sevrod05 said:
Here's the number for the 05 SE

25918-04k Stator Connector KIT
The 2007 parts manual I have shows that number as the connector kit. Does the connector kit also include the case pass through seal/grommet? It soes include seals for the connector itself.
 

·
Marshall
Joined
·
331 Posts
JustSam said:
The 2007 parts manual I have shows that number as the connector kit. Does the connector kit also include the case pass through seal/grommet? It soes include seals for the connector itself.[/QUOTE

Here's the parts listed in the Kit
72087-04 Seal Cable (3)
72089-04 Socket Housing 3-way female (black)
72092-04 Lock, secondary 3-way
72308-97 Terminal, female (3)
There's nothing showing a seperate seal in the drawing. Hopes this helps.
 

·
Inked up Irishman
Joined
·
2,829 Posts
mine started leaking and they had to replace the stator if I remember right at least it is on my 06
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to my local dealer on Friday. They said that I had to replace the stator as there is no way to replace just the seal. I'm going to try the part # SEVROD05 gave and see if that works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
bikerabbi said:
Is the stator itself supposed to hold back the oil so that it does not even get into the case where the wires exit the casing?
The stator bolts to the outside case with three screws, on the iner side of the cover. It does not provide any type of oil seal.

In my drawing it looks like the seal in question is molded to the stator wire that exits the case and is terminated in a connector. This requires one to replace the stator winding in order to replace the seal. The part number for the stator is 30734-04K. Price at Zanotti's is $101.27.

Since it is not too tough to get to, (remove the 14 bolts around the perimeter of the cover), I think I would just give a try at applying some sealant. There is no oil under pressure here, but significant splash.
 

·
Not Dead Yet
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
JustSam said:
The stator bolts to the outside case with three screws, on the iner side of the cover. It does not provide any type of oil seal.

In my drawing it looks like the seal in question is molded to the stator wire that exits the case and is terminated in a connector. This requires one to replace the stator winding in order to replace the seal. The part number for the stator is 30734-04K. Price at Zanotti's is $101.27.

Since it is not too tough to get to, (remove the 14 bolts around the perimeter of the cover), I think I would just give a try at applying some sealant. There is no oil under pressure here, but significant splash.
Overall, it seems the concesus is that a $101.27 stator is connected to a rubber plug gasket that sometimes leaks. I guess I'll try some inexpensive gasket sealer before I go the Stator replacement route. Actually it kind of reminds me of the days when Harleys would "mark their spot."
Thanks all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
I just did mine. Take the cover off and wipe down real good. Clean the grommet and apply a good high temp RTV sealant. Worked for me. Other wise you have to replace the hole wiring assembly. $$$$$$
 

·
...
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
The wire/seal/stator are one piece for every model year. Either do like gbflex above stated or replace the stator which has the seal on the wire. There is no replacement of the seal without the stator.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top