Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have read the various posts and had begun the disassembly. I have disconnected the stator wire from its mount beside the rad and removed the bolts from the cover.
This is where I am having a problem. The cover is loose everywhere except the bottom left corner. I have doubled checked that all bolts have been removed (ignore the top bolt I reinstalled temporarily until I can figure out why the bottom will not let go).
So what is preventing it from coming off now?

Attachments

·
VRSC est -03
2,350 Posts
Hello all. I have read the various posts and had begun the disassembly. I have disconnected the stator wire from its mount beside the rad and removed the bolts from the cover.
This is where I am having a problem. The cover is loose everywhere except the bottom left corner. I have doubled checked that all bolts have been removed (ignore the top bolt I reinstalled temporarily until I can figure out why the bottom will not let go).
So what is preventing it from coming off now?
Here: https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54589&highlight=stator+wire

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
The bottom left corner is where the stator wires go into the cover. Correct? There may have been some gasket sealer or some similar type substance used the last time it was removed.
'
Also the cover is held on by a very strong magnet. Try pulling harder. If the other part of the cover is loose it must be also. That cover does not bend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Per the link, I will follow those steps and hopefully it all works out, thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went to the hardware store and got a handful of bolts and cut the heads off to use as guides. The more the better, to keep the gasket in place. have a good grip and hold back when easing the cover back on. The magnet snatched it right out of my hands the first time.

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
I went to the hardware store and got a handful of bolts and cut the heads off to use as guides. The more the better, to keep the gasket in place. have a good grip and hold back when easing the cover back on. The magnet snatched it right out of my hands the first time.
I did the same thing. Great for keeping that gasket in place. No damage that way. I used bolts that were about twice the length of a normal one. and do not screw them all the way. Just enough to keep them in the hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts