Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 started to leak but when I took it apart I found I don't have the plug style grommet that will accept orings. My grommet is slotted and fits into a cut out in the cover. Is this a later model cover and stator?
Any one had to seal up a leak in one of these?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,390 Posts
Lots of RTV gasket sealer to resolve the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of RTV gasket sealer to resolve the issue.
Agreed, I've also had good luck with 3 bond on other engines with stator wiring leaks. I'm going to give it a try on this. If it fails I'll report back.

Wonder why the geniuses who design these things insist on running the wiring thru oil submerged areas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
I put o-rings and silicone on last time, but if it leaks again, I’m going to put shrink tube over them, then silicone the whole mess.

They probably put the wires there for aesthetics. That’s why the radiator hose is vertical instead of horizontal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said above above, my cover has a cut out that the grommet fits into. Not a hole like others here have used the oring fix on. Is my cover a later model part that has been put on my bike?
 

·
Yooper/Geek
Joined
·
745 Posts
Yours is the original design.

The updated design has the grommet going through a hole in the cover, and the cover gasket has a metal on metal contact all the way around.

Lots of RTV is your best bet. All the way around the rubber grommet and in the slot, and once it's laid in the cutout, lots behind it.

Expect to do this every few oil changes. My experience is that about every 5 years I have to pull the cover, clean it up, and redo. I'm overdue, and mine's been occasionally leaving a mark for a while.
 

·
VRSC est -03
Joined
·
3,401 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,818 Posts
Like I said above above, my cover has a cut out that the grommet fits into. Not a hole like others here have used the oring fix on. Is my cover a later model part that has been put on my bike?
There is no reason a later model should not have a round hole. Can you post a pic or sketch of what the hole looks like? I suspect someone butchered the hole. However, both the stator assembly and cover have been superceded with and A suffix in 2014+ models but don't know what the change is. Someone here might know. It would really suck if one needed a new stator and it's updated in the grommet area but requires a new cover to go with it so the two match and seal. Much like that stupid master cyl gasket for front brake that was updated in 2013. It required a new cap to go with it. It was more of a leaker then the previous part. I got several NOS gaskets for the previous version and stayed with that.
Ron
 

·
Killer Service Inc.
Joined
·
8,957 Posts
take cover off and clean up the entire area with alcohol. let dry.
Use the grey rtv by Harley and it will seal it up. let set for 24 hrs.
put cover on good to go.

or

update the cover like I did and rtv it also.

problem fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no reason a later model should not have a round hole. Can you post a pic or sketch of what the hole looks like? I suspect someone butchered the hole. However, both the stator assembly and cover have been superceded with and A suffix in 2014+ models but don't know what the change is. Someone here might know. It would really suck if one needed a new stator and it's updated in the grommet area but requires a new cover to go with it so the two match and seal. Much like that stupid master cyl gasket for front brake that was updated in 2013. It required a new cap to go with it. It was more of a leaker then the previous part. I got several NOS gaskets for the previous version and stayed with that.
Ron
OK got it now. The new style is the cover with the hole. I have the old style with the D shaped cut out. I'm going to clean it up and try to seal it with three bond. I've had better luck with three bond than RTV on some of these problem areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,818 Posts
OK got it now. The new style is the cover with the hole. I have the old style with the D shaped cut out. I'm going to clean it up and try to seal it with three bond. I've had better luck with three bond than RTV on some of these problem areas.
The early -01 designation covers and stators used a D shaped plug and hole area so that makes sense. Later models used round, 07K and 08K In 2014 there is an A added to the end, as in 25899-07KA for cover and 30734-08KA. Not sure what the A change means. At least your mystery is solved.
Ron
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top