Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I ordered a new cable and when i took it to the shop they could smell anti freeze and so could i, I could not find the water leaks but when they took the side cover off they said the bolt for the water pump gear was down in the oil pan. I can't really believe this because the bolt is over 2.5 inches long. how could it have fallen off ?
when he showed me the bolt it was clearly stripped on the end of the bolt. Could it have been from try to tighten up? i'm vey puzzled by this, Now I had to order a new shaft/gear and bolt to replace it...

Does this sound possible that the bolt fell out and ended up sitting in the oil pan ?

the small gear bolt is out.. it was 2.5" how could it fall out????

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
So, I ordered a new cable and when i took it to the shop they could smell anti freeze and so could i, I could not find and water leeks but when they took the side cover off they said the bolt for the water pump gear was down in the oil pan. I can't really believe this because the bolt is over 2.5 inches long. how could it have fallen off ?
when he showed me the bolt it was clearly stripped on the end of the bolt. Could it have been from try to tighten up? i'm vey puzzled by this, Now I had to order a new shaft/gear and bolt to replace it...

Does this sound possible that the bolt fell out and ended up sitting in the oil pan ?

Thanks
What's even strange is you didn't notice a big serious drop in oil pressure and overheating. Did you see the bolt in the pan first hand or second hand information from the dealer. Something is fishy, especially the stripping part.
Ron

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
So, I ordered a new cable and when i took it to the shop they could smell anti freeze and so could i, I could not find and water leeks but when they took the side cover off they said the bolt for the water pump gear was down in the oil pan. I can't really believe this because the bolt is over 2.5 inches long. how could it have fallen off ?

Thanks
What's even strange is you didn't notice a big serious drop in oil pressure and overheating. Did you see the bolt in the pan first hand or second hand information from the dealer. Something is fishy, especially the stripping part. With the bolt out, I think there would be 0 oil pressure because the inside of the pump shaft is part of the oil galley.
Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's even strange is you didn't notice a big serious drop in oil pressure and overheating. Did you see the bolt in the pan first hand or second hand information from the dealer. Something is fishy, especially the stripping part.
Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course not, they called me in the shop to take a look and he had the stripped bolt in his hand, I'm thinking he tried to tighned it and stripped it out. they said oh, we often run a magnit in the pan to see if anything is in it... This whole thing is fishy

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The bolt was from the water pump gear/shaft
Yes, it's the infamous tripple sprocket bolt but oil pressure is inside the shaft as part of the delivery circuit. No bolt, oil pisses out and pressure is lost. Drive to this shaft is from friction of the sprocket when bolt is torqued. When friction is lost the shaft won't get driven as well and the water pump on the end of this shaft won't move coolant around as well. They generally overheat. I suspect they stripped it out and came up with a story after that.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts