Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I’m experiencing starting and timing problems with the 2015 V-Rod Muscle I purchased a few months ago.

So, I’ll do my best to keep this short but I purchased the bike this spring, only had 9000 miles (US bike) on it, came with a PC-V tuner and Tab 2-2 Exhaust. It ran okay but def needed tuning as there was serious decel popping and didn’t have the kick any of the other V-Rods I’ve owned had.

So, I pulled out the air filter and replaced it with a Tab Motohooligan Super Intake, got rid of the Tab pipes and switched to Vance and Hines Comp Series 2-1, and after nothing but problems with the Power Commander V, I pulled it out and had it replaced with a Zippers Thundermax (Autotune) tuner. Also had a 58mm screamin eagle TB installed. First Vance and Hines sent the wrong down pipe, so I spent a month waiting for the replacement pipe to arrive and ultimately resolved the issue and had the proper pipes installed.

Upon all the changes/upgrades, the bike wouldn’t start at all. Contacted Zippers and had to send the Thundermax unit back to have it reprogrammed. Zippers was great and sent a new pre-programmed unit for all the alternations/upgrades. The shop installed the new unit, it would finally start then stall repeatedly. Finally after trying everything (swapping out sensors and switches) we put the stock 55mm throttle body back in and it finally started up. Since then the bike will only start when it’s hot and humid out (won’t start and drains the battery trying unless it’s 70+ degrees - and even at 70/20 degrees it’s hard to start), seems to help when it’s standing upright but that’s also hit and miss, and I have to play with the throttle to get it to catch and start.

My mileage is much better, there’s nearly no popping and gained huge mid-range power, but there’s serious bogging/power lag between 3800-4200 rpms and it runs awful when it’s even close to cold. We figured the autotune would help and work these issues out but it hasn’t and I’m concerned about causing serious engine damage. There’s a slight noise coming from up front when stopped (I’m just guessing but it sounds like something opening and closing or cycling but I’m no expert by any means) and the auto tune feature hasn’t seemed to fix the lag between 3800-4200 rpms.

Also, hoping to hear of any experiences or reasons why the bike won’t start with the brand new 58mm SE throttle body, as I’d really like to have it installed before I do any cam work or anything else done to this bike. Any advice or similar experience with solutions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, really appreciate it.

Also, there are no codes coming up at all, the battery is decent, and other than wearing it out, the starter is good.

I apologize for the length of this but don’t want any details left out. Again, thanks in advance for any insight or help, I really appreciate it.

- DJ

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
For starting issue, try increasing the initial pulse setting and up the cranking fuel amounts. Was the IAC ever initialized pre starting engine after install. Tmax documentation should cover all of this.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For starting issue, try increasing the initial pulse setting and up the cranking fuel amounts. Was the IAC ever initialized pre starting engine after install. Tmax documentation should cover all of this.
Ron
Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, the shop tried upping the fuel amounts and the IAC was initialized properly during set up. Tmax isn’t doing a lot to help right now unfortunately. If I hadn’t put so much into this bike now I’d just sell it and start fresh but either way, need it running properly first - drained the battery trying to start it this morning, recharged it all day and it rode well tonight, just lost with what could be wrong. Wish I had the dough to send it down to Fitzgerald and redo it all with their set up but that’s just wishful thinking right now. Again, any insight or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DJ

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, the shop tried upping the fuel amounts and the IAC was initialized properly during set up. Tmax isn’t doing a lot to help right now unfortunately. If I hadn’t put so much into this bike now I’d just sell it and start fresh but either way, need it running properly first - drained the battery trying to start it this morning, recharged it all day and it rode well tonight, just lost with what could be wrong. Wish I had the dough to send it down to Fitzgerald and redo it all with their set up but that’s just wishful thinking right now. Again, any insight or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DJ
Curious, once you got it started, did it belch out black smoke for a few seconds and run rough too?
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious, once you got it started, did it belch out black smoke for a few seconds and run rough too?
Ron

No black smoke but had to play with the throttle to get it going. Was hoping Tmax would learn and fix itself but it never ended up happening... just brought it back in to the shop and they’re working with Thundermax to correct all these issues.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
No black smoke but had to play with the throttle to get it going. Was hoping Tmax would learn and fix itself but it never ended up happening... just brought it back in to the shop and they’re working with Thundermax to correct all these issues.
Sounds like the starting IAC steps are too low, if it will start by adding some throttle. I ran a TMAX once on a softail. It was fine but the company pretty much useless if there's a problem. Hope you get it sorted out.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts