Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I took a 400+ miler with the Wisconsin crew. When I started off in the morning it was 37 degrees and I doubt it broke 60 all day. The initial start up in the morning was fine, at my first gas stop I had to try multiple times to get the bike to fire. It would just turn over and over. Every other stop through the day I would have to crank for about 5 seconds to get it lit. There were only 2 startups through the day that it fired instantly.

I was always sure to have ZERO throttle applied when starting.

I am not sure if it is a cold air start issue or a hot starting issue. Even after lunch where the engine was allowed to cool it was hard to start so I am thinking it was the cold weather.

The map I had in it is below and was from KWIKR. I have not downloaded from the bike yet.

Any help is appreciated.
 

Attachments

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
It sounds like a warm start issue, possibly aggravated by an improper reading from the IAT. If it thinks the air is warmer than it actually is then it will take fuel away.

The best fix I found was to increase the timed cold enrichment in the higher temp areas. Also make sure the cells at 1500 are not set to autolearn by setting the 0% TPS cells from 1000 - 1500 to 1 or 0. I find that the BLM will lean out the 1500 and 1750 cells the more you ride because the ECM enriches the mixture on deceleration in those cells, the BLM compensates and what you end up with are alphaN numbers like 12 in those cells...... They should be between 20 and 30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Ken - In case you haven't read it, the attached really helped me dial in my starts and idle... (it pertains to the VRFI as well as the TCFI)
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mjw930 said:
It sounds like a warm start issue, possibly aggravated by an improper reading from the IAT. If it thinks the air is warmer than it actually is then it will take fuel away.

The best fix I found was to increase the timed cold enrichment in the higher temp areas. Also make sure the cells at 1500 are not set to autolearn by setting the 0% TPS cells from 1000 - 1500 to 1 or 0. I find that the BLM will lean out the 1500 and 1750 cells the more you ride because the ECM enriches the mixture on deceleration in those cells, the BLM compensates and what you end up with are alphaN numbers like 12 in those cells...... They should be between 20 and 30.

Mark, by looking at the BLM tables from yesterday I can see what you are talking about. My BLM tables show 100, 85, 1, 1 for the first four RPM boxes in front and an 88 instead of 85 for the rear.

I should change these to 0, Correct?

About the IAT. When I got home I believe it was around 45F degrees which would be about 7C. My IAT was showing about 16C. ?????

I will attach the data I just pulled from the bike below if you could take a look at it.

Thanks

Alex, thanks for the idle pages. I will read them tonight.

Ken
 

Attachments

  • Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    1.9 KB Views: 63
  • Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    125.4 KB Views: 55

·
Inked up Irishman
Joined
·
2,829 Posts
I was working on that Ken I hadn't ridden it in any cold weather until I hit gallup NM on the way home from KC and hadn't thought to warn you about it when I fired it up I couldn't keep it running until the bike had warmed up for over ten mninutes and she was hard to start. Sorry to not warn you man...
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
Ken,

First, reset your alphaN table's first row to 23, 22, 20, 16.

Then, reset your front and rear BLM tables so it reads 1, 1, 0, 0 in the first 4 columns of the first row (0% TPS) for both front and rear then apply them both.

Now, save this file with a new name. This should clear up the cold starts and prevent it from coming back.

If you want to clean it up more then try changing the setting in the 2D table: ET Based Cold Start Enrichment Multiplier Table to 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 20, ........ 20.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KWIKR said:
I was working on that Ken I hadn't ridden it in any cold weather until I hit gallup NM on the way home from KC and hadn't thought to warn you about it when I fired it up I couldn't keep it running until the bike had warmed up for over ten mninutes and she was hard to start. Sorry to not warn you man...
Justin, to be honest with you. Once it fired it ran great. No spittin or sputtering. The bike also never stalled all day. It actually ran better than I ever had it running with the RT.

mjw930 said:
Ken,

First, reset your alphaN table's first row to 23, 22, 20, 16.

Then, reset your front and rear BLM tables so it reads 1, 1, 0, 0 in the first 4 columns of the first row (0% TPS) for both front and rear then apply them both.

Now, save this file with a new name. This should clear up the cold starts and prevent it from coming back.

If you want to clean it up more then try changing the setting in the 2D table: ET Based Cold Start Enrichment Multiplier Table to 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 20, ........ 20.
Mark, as always much appreciated for your help. I will apply these changes and see how it works out. Hopefully will get a chance to test it this week as time is running out up here.
 

·
Inked up Irishman
Joined
·
2,829 Posts
o2man98 said:
Justin, to be honest with you. Once it fired it ran great. No spittin or sputtering. The bike also never stalled all day. It actually ran better than I ever had it running with the RT.



Mark, as always much appreciated for your help. I will apply these changes and see how it works out. Hopefully will get a chance to test it this week as time is running out up here.

Hey when you apply those changes help a brother out and post it back up....
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top