Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rode back home, about 15 miles on motorways.
As I came off the slip road both the engine and battery light came on, plus there was an odd sound.
Rode the extra 2 miles home and switched the engine off. The starter was still running :O
Hit the kill switch and it was still on.
Turned the ignition and kill switch back on, pressed the started and the engine started.
Switched it all off and the starter was still running.

It finally stopped, leaving me with an error code of low voltage.

At least the starter motor stopped and the battery is now on trickle charge.

The thing is, I had to get a mate to help me push it up the slope into my garage.
In the process he cracked the rear left hand indicator mounting, where the stalk connects to the "skirt" on the fender (the bit that has the reflectors and number plate mount).
So does anyone, preferably in the UK have one they want to sell to me?
Failing that, does anyone know the part number?
Also, do you have to remove the whole fender to remove the skirt?

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
get it all replaced under warranty, shaun.
starter and broken plastics because, It should not have to be pushed anywhere and they owe it to you to make your bike more reliable and dependable.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CRAZY CLIVE said:
get it all replaced under warranty, shaun.
starter and broken plastics because, It should not have to be pushed anywhere and they owe it to you to make your bike more reliable and dependable.
I had thought about it, but I think Warrs will have a heart attack.
They are already doing an upper frame replacement under warranty.

Saying that, by the time they get around to it I will get them to do the 5000 mile service too.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
That is a known issue with some starters; I'd definitely get that warranteed. You're probably stuck for the plastic piece, though.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the Starter motor is fried.

Got no errors in the diag, the starter relay clicks, but no one is at home.

Looks like I am gonna lose the bike for an unknown time whilst they source a starter motor.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Wow... Another one. Maybe someone should start a poll to track this issue.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I think they know about this issue. There was a bad batch of starter solenoids. They get stuck in the on position. If that starter keeps turning, then the starter will fry.

Make sure they know that the starter was engaged for a period of time. My concern, if it were my bike, is that the starter grinding on that fly wheel, would cause metal shavings in the entire motor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the same problem back in April washed the bike started it up and noticed a different sound
hit the kill switch and the starter kept going turned ignition off still the same.:banghead:
then full panic set in turning switches on and off no different
just about to pull all any and all fuses out when it stopped
Dealer had the bike for a week could not find a problem but changed the solenoid under warranty
Its ok now:D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rjrivero said:
.......Make sure they know that the starter was engaged for a period of time. My concern, if it were my bike, is that the starter grinding on that fly wheel, would cause metal shavings in the entire motor.
I have checked in the workshop manual and the starter motor is pre-engaged, so it will always be spinning with the engine.

The bike was recovered to the dealer just now and I hope to get it back in the next couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just by way of an update:

I got a call from my dealer and they have confirmed the starter is dead. A new one is on order along with a solenoid.
The fender skirts are on back order over here in the UK, seems there are few people breaking them.

Should get the bike back sometime next week, though I will probably have to wait for the fender skirt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my '04. Went to shut the bike down and the starter engaged and would not shut off. Starter solenoid began to catch fire! Smoke and flames shooting out! Only way to kill it was to rip the wires out of the solenoid before got to out of hand. Thankfully no other damage other than a burned up solenoid. Got it trailered to a local HD dealership and was back on the road in 2 hours. They said water probably got past the sealed boots an caused the short.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the call yesterday that the bike is ready to collect. :)

On thing is it is pouring with rain :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
Got the call yesterday that the bike is ready to collect. :)

On thing is it is pouring with rain :(
If you push the starter button when the engine is running it will run until dead. If you own a 07dx kill the engine asap and that will stop it. Start your engine again and you are good to go. If you have pipes and are on the go it will be hard to listen if you push the buton by accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts