Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1537

Has anyone used or heard of anyone using this? It was recommended to me by my bike mechanic (Not the HD dealer) Being in NJ all gas stations have 10% ethanol. I hear the same switch will be happening in PA very soon and that this stuff is very good. Normally I take his advice right away but I am very leery when it comes to fuel additives.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
You should be leary of fuel additives, most are just one or more of the many chemicals that are already in your gasoline. 10% ethanol won't hurt a thing except fuel economy very slightly and starving people who could have eaten that corn.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yup - I've been using that for a couple of years now, works really well.. See below, really good write-up about it...

Star Tron Story

Star Tron® is an amazing fuel treatment based on naturally occurring enzymes. Although this is a very unique application of enzyme technology, we encounter various enzymes in our everyday lives. For example, enzymes in laundry detergents break down dirt and stains so that they may be easily washed away, even in cold water. Enzymes in the human digestive system break down food into components that are easily used by the body to produce energy. Functioning as biocatalysts, enzymes increase and control the rate of chemical reactions. Star Tron® uses highly specialized enzymes to modify how gasoline and diesel fuel burns, the end result being more complete and uniform combustion. This same enzyme package, cleans the fuel delivery system and combustion chambers, stabilizes fuel chemistry and reduces engine emissions.

Increasing Power & Improving Fuel Economy, Reducing Emissions
Engines are not very efficient at burning all of the fuel that is fed into the cylinders. The result of this incomplete combustion is reduced power, production of harmful emissions and carbon formation. By changing the bonding structure of the hydrocarbon molecules that make up fuel, enzymes in Star Tron® allow more oxygen to attach to the fuel at the time of ignition, resulting in a more complete burn of the fuel charge. Star Tron® treated fuel therefore produces greater power, dramatically increases fuel economy and shows up to a 90% reduction in commonly encountered emissions. Carbon monoxide is reduced up to 40%. Diesel soot is now classified as a carcinogen and a toxic air contaminant. Enzyme modified diesel fuel can reduce soot by over one half in just a day and continued use can reduce soot by up to 80%.

Cleaning Injectors, The Fuel Delivery System & Combustion Chambers While Removing Carbon Build-Up
When more of the fuel charge is burned there is a dramatic drop in the formation of performance robbing carbon deposits. After several hours of operating with Star Tron® enhanced fuel, the engine’s concussive forces will blow all existing carbon off the pistons, completely cleaning the combustion chamber without the use of solvent-based carbon removing additives. As the enzymes in Star Tron® are naturally powerful surface-active agents, deposits are removed from the fuel tank, fuel lines, injectors, valves, pistons and spark plugs. Star Tron® accomplishes these cleaning tasks quickly and at the lowest per gallon cost of any product on the market. Once existing carbon deposits are removed and future deposit formation is prevented, knocking and pinging (pre-detonation) are eliminated. Engines develop full power while running smoother and quieter. An added benefit of a deposit free combustion chamber is that fuel burns at a properly controlled rate, helping to greatly boost fuel economy.

Microbial Growth In Fuel
When gasoline or diesel fuel sits in a tank with excessive air space, the daily temperature changes produce condensation (water formation) on tank walls. This water falls into the fuel where it sinks to the bottom providing a breeding ground for microbial spores that feed on hydrocarbon fuels. Known as "diesel algae" these are primarily fungi, yeast and mold contaminants. If left untreated, diesel algae will ruin the fuel causing clogs in filters, fuel lines and injectors. Common treatment for this problem up until now has been the use of a biocide to kill existing growth and prevent a future infestation. The use of a biocide can however cause other problems. Once the growth is killed, the resulting biomass settles to the tank bottom where it decays forming organic acids. The acids then deteriorate the fuel and cause corrosion of the tank walls, injectors and fuel delivery system. Additionally, biocides can be harmful to all those who handle them or come in contact with treated fuel, plus they can cause environmental damage if spilled. Star Tron® uses its enzyme technology to disperse microbial growth throughout the fuel. These microbial particles are then either safely burned away or filtered out.

Treating Water In Fuel
As mentioned before, water can wind up in your gas or diesel fuel as a result of condensation in the tank. Because water is heavier than fuel, it sinks to the bottom of the tank and forms a distinct water layer. The fuel pick-up tube is located at the bottom of the tank so, once this happens, water is supplied to your fuel pump. Obviously the engine can not burn water; soon it starts to sputter and eventually stops running. Additionally, water is corrosive so it deteriorates tank walls and metals in the fuel delivery system. The enzymes in Star Tron® prevent the water molecules that are in fuel from combining and forming a distinct water layer. Water is reduced to sub-micron size particles that cannot cause corrosion and are safely burned during normal combustion.

Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline
The emissions-reducing additive MTBE that has been put into gasoline for years was found to contaminate water supplies. As a result, MTBE is being eliminated throughout the U.S. and replaced by up to 10% ethanol. When used up quickly, ethanol-enhanced gas does not present difficulties for users. In boats and RVs that tend to use up fuel less frequently however, the new ethanol gas does in fact create problems. Ethanol has a great affinity for water and as a result, this new formulated fuel can cause a water layer to form and gelling to occur. Additionally, ethanol is an excellent solvent that can attack sludge buildup in fuel tanks and cause fuel filters to clog frequently. Star brite Star Tron® can prevent these problems from occurring and can also reverse the problems if they already exist.

Stabilizing Fuel Chemistry
Diesel fuel and gasoline are not formulated to be stored for more than 90 days. After this period of time, they begin to oxidize, forming sludge, varnish, gum and other harmful deposits. The ability of the fuel to burn properly is diminished as chemical components start to break down. Star Tron® uses its enzyme technology to maintain fuel quality and prevent the deterioration of fuel components. Diesel fuel treated with Star Tron® has a shelf life in excess of two years. Gasoline, which tends to evaporate volatile components more quickly than diesel, remains stable for one year. Once hydrocarbon fuels deteriorate, the process of cleaning and rejuvenating them is extremely expensive. Enzymes contained in Star Tron® can in fact "repair" old fuel, restoring cetane and octane ratings, dispersing water and breaking down sludge and other deposits. Star Tron®’s enzyme formula may well be the most cost effective fuel remediation technology in the world.
8 fl. oz. 12 bottles (8 fl. oz. treats up to 125 gallons)
16 fl. oz. 12 bottles (16 fl. oz. treats up to 250 gallons)
32 fl. oz. 12 bottles (32 fl. oz. treats up to 500 gallons)

Reduces all emissions
Prevents fuel oxidation and stabilizes fuel chemistry for at least one year
Lowers fuel system maintenance
Eliminates carbon build-up in fuel delivery system and on exhaust components
Increases fuel economy
Eliminates and prevents ethanol fuel problems
1 fl. oz. treats 16 gallons of gas

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
What a load of crap. Snake oil bullshit, it's probably chicken piss from East Texas.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
What a load of crap. Snake oil bullshit, it's probably chicken piss from East Texas.
:them: Oh, and PA has had 10% ethanol in most of our gas for a long time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 10% Ethonol killed my Yamaha, it had to go into the shop twice to have the carbs cleaned - partly my fault because I wasn't riding it as much. The Yamaha mechanic turned me on to Star Tron and never had a problem with gummed up carbs ever since. If you ride often, you're ok, it's when the gas sits as it did in my Yamaha is when problems start... The Yamaha is gone now, sold it for the AW... Anyway, it worked for me - up to you if you want to try it....

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
"By changing the bonding structure of the hydrocarbon molecule....". Are companies really allowed to legally say such stupid lies as these? Is there actually no regulatory agency that prevents such inane lies from being told about a product?

I'm sorry but after those 8 paragraphs of OBVIOUS gobblety **** bullshite, anyone buying this trash should have their checking account suspended for their own good.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
If they're so brilliant that can create a little bottle of stuff that can change molecular properties then why are they selling fuel additives? They should be pouring chemicals in a pot and whipping up some gold from scratch.

These douches claim they cause an oxygen molecule to bond with a hydrocarbon molecule. If that happened it would no longer be a hydrocarbon at all. It would be something like glucose, C6H12O6. They don't even have a clue what they're talking about.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
If they're so brilliant that can create a little bottle of stuff that can change molecular properties then why are they selling fuel additives? They should be pouring chemicals in a pot and whipping up some gold from scratch.

These douches claim they cause an oxygen molecule to bond with a hydrocarbon molecule. If that happened it would no longer be a hydrocarbon at all. It would be something like glucose, C6H12O6. They don't even have a clue what they're talking about.
:them: once again.

Bonding oxygen to hydrocarbons makes other things too. Like ETHANOL (C2H6OH). Other alcohols, ethers (think MTBE), ketones. Someone got into the chemistry vocabulary bottle and spilled it all over their ad.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Nice! So there you go. IF their claim was true then MAYBE their additive would actually turn your entire tank of gasoline into 100% ETHANOL. Hahahaha.

Used car salesmen looking to branch out into the lucrative fuel additive market selling people dirt cheap mineral oil. That's all it is, just like every other infomercial additive in the world.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
MWD I take your not a fan of additives....lol

Actually to adress the Yamaha story and shelf life of gasoline the only additive I have ever used with success in that is brand name Sta-Bil. On the deer lease we have a 5000 gal non-taxed fuel tank for the ranch vehicles use, because of it's sheer size and teh little amount of fuel used it only gets filled about once every 9 months. We always dump Sta-bil in with the filling and the gas smells and burns just as good on the last drop as it does when we first fill it. One time we take one of the vehicles into town and happened to fill up in town at a gas station and it sat for a couple of months before next time we tried to use it and it had varnished the carbs up so bad the jeep wouldn't even start until after I took the carb apart. Since then we learned our lesson never ever leave untreated gas in one of the ranch vehicles, but as far a a treatment that makes gasoline this wonderful thing above and beyond what it is and you believe it then I have some magnets to sell you. Fuel Optimiser

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
And Star Tron may very well be as good as Sta-Bil at preserving gasoline. They should just say it if that's the case and leave all the horse crap out of it.

Fuel stabilizers actually work, all the other claims of greatness are ridiculous.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Playing Devil's Advocate here... let's say this stuff does work, the algorithyms of the ECM are preset to burn the "lesser" refined fuel a certain way. Now with this magic alchemy will the ECM be magically reprogrammed to burn this new fancy fuel?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
"By changing the bonding structure of the hydrocarbon molecule....". Are companies really allowed to legally say such stupid lies as these? Is there actually no regulatory agency that prevents such inane lies from being told about a product?

I'm sorry but after those 8 paragraphs of OBVIOUS gobblety **** bullshite, anyone buying this trash should have their checking account suspended for their own good.
:them:

Usually when you have a writeup such as this it smells bad anyway. If the salespitch takes all of this writing, it is not worth a shit! If it was good, it would say "try this bad ass stuff". End of story. I bet what you will not see is a comparison backed up with concrete facts!

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The Outlaw Josey Wales meets a Star Tron salesman:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The entire ad is bullcrap. I agree with mwdhand, how can advertising standards let this pass?
Actually they don't. I think I'll file a complaint with the Federal Trade Comission next time I'm bored. The FTC shut up zMax and all their lies.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.