Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'02 stock model. Got a couple of stalls today and a P0505 code (idle air control). Comment on the stalls: absolutely did not feel like the clutch was mishandled. The engine simply appeared to stop as I pulled the clutch in to brake for a light--idle just felt like it dropped to zero as I came to a stop.

Anyway, did my homework on the threads and have the following questions:

--HD says my VIN doesn't have any recalls. Read that the fuel flange problem fixed stalling for some people. Any way to tell if I need the upgrade by looking at the bike?

--Is anyone aware of a HD ECM upgrade since '02 that I can ask for? Is there any way to tell what code level I'm at via the diagnostic display? What's the latest code level for a stock unit?

--After a few weeks, I feel that the 28 tooth is the way to go -- spend way too much time in first and second gear around town. Has this been successful in correcting stalls? Can't see how it would effect what I felt, though I'm sure it'd be great for getting better clutch handling on starts.

Thanks for any ideas you might have -- not a bad situation, but annoying and I'd like to get past it so I can enjoy the ride more.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
If you're IAT sensor is located below the airbox than you haven't had the factory update. It moved the IAT and reflashed the ECM. One of the listed items it fixed was hot stalls.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MJW -- I'll check for it and let all know -- thanks

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
banglenot I got a P0505 one time and had a couple of stalls like no idle at all. Happened on a cold day after the bike had been sitting for about a week and never happened again. I think the IAC was sticky or had moisture on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was having the stalling problem on my 03. I had the flange module replaced and it didn't help. After installing the PCIII USB no more stalling.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need to relocate IAT--

As mjw suspected, my IAT has not been relocated to the airbox.

Will HD do the job at no cost, since I'm out of warranty?

If they won't,

Should I buy the HD kit and relocate it (anyone know the part number?),

or,

Buy an IAT from Chicago cycles ($18), and mount it on the lower inside of the box with my own wiring (and leave the current IAT in place).

Finally, do I have to remap after relocating the IAT?

Thanks, everyone

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
banglenot it does not matter in or out of warranty HD does not cover the cost of the IAT relocation kit but that did not cause your code.

Max

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Max

Probably didn't, but I figure I should get it out of the way so that it prevents any confusion. Know it has to be done, in any case. If the code comes back afterward, I can concentrate on some other cause.

Guy at Chicago HD said a remap wasn't needed.

Ordered the full relo kit from Chicago HD, so you can ignore my question on the IAT, all.

Next is the 28 tooth....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Yes a remap is needed after you change the IAT sensor. The new location is much cooler. An RT would be a good investment for you.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree--

Thanks. I agree, since I like to do all my own work. I'm trying to get in on the group buy....I'm wayyyy late but want to see if I can get it.

B

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Max is right, your code wasn't caused by the IAT relocation. I forgot about you throwing a code when I replied. Sorry for any confusion.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, mjw

Appreciate the advice. I'll get the RT and start adjusting it to see what is 0505 is if it comes back.

I'm one of those who gets 70% pleasure out of riding, 20% out of fixing and screwing around with it and 10% from sitting on a crate with a beer in the garage staring at it on a rainy day....

Suspect I'm not alone....

B

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Could the P0505 code (idle air control) be caused by the stalling itself? I don't want to repeat myself about my previous posts in similar threads...
Otherwise: change your spark plugs and see what happens

Good luck with the fault finding,

Jan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts