Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
stalling when hot coming to stop

I have 02 with pcIII Rinehart pipes and screaming eagle air filter. had the air temp sensor moved to the air box but still stall when warm out coming to stop light or sitting at idle unless i keep the throttle open a little??

anyone have any ideas as to a fix???

do not notice it as much when cold outside. but seems to be almost a the time hot out.

thanks

Craig

· Registered
204 Posts
my stalling problem

posted in other areas but wanted to include it here.
I had stalling problem that only got worse. it would happen when the bike got hot. :yak: checked everything out and had code for the Idle Air Control Motor (IAC) but when I checked it the tests were showing it good. So I changed the Throttle Position Sensor thinking that it was given bad read as to idle or not. :spank:
The bike seemed to run better but nor for long. So went back to the tests and got the same answers. The dealer said call at the end of july to set up a time to drop the bike off. :hmm: which was not going to happen. so back to the tests again. This time things were a little diferent. when i had the air filter of and had the bike in my garage it was stalling were it would not before.
The IAC code was again in the system. When trying to start the bike I noticed that the IAC would pull back to the start or restart position as discriped in the service manual but it would spring back out as soon as the bike started to run at an idle and then stall. so I removed the black vacum plug next to the IAC and the bike started right up and stayed running the IAC needle would bounce in and out. So after the bike cooled down I followed the manual as to how the IAC was to be removed.
:notworth: (if you are not good with tools bring it to you dealer !!!!!).
after it was removed i gave the IAC a small pull as the neddle had reset itself and the whole thing fell apart. it looks like the insides are all plastic and the heat of the engine melted it or it was just defective and took this long for it to let go. I had already ordered a new one before so it should be at my house today and will hope to have the bike back together by tommorow and will post what i find.

· Registered
204 Posts
how to check your IAC

If you are having stalling problems :hitfan: i have found a problem with the IAC (Idle Air Control). This is located on the throttle body and should only be changed by a HD dealership. To check this remove the air cover and filter. in-between the two intakes is a small indentation. that is were the IAC works from. with the engine off turn your bike on then back off again and you should see the IAC move. after that try to start your bike if the IAC moves out but not back in or does not move. try to remove the vacuum plug from the side and see if it will start and stay running at all you need to have your dealer check it and chances are you will need a new one installed. Again do not try this own your own the throttle body has to be removed and you need torches to get this out. let the dealer do it. so if he blows your bike up (no joking) you will still be alive and can get a new one :ithappen: I will post photo of the throttle body to show you were to look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.