Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 that I have had for about a year. I was the fourth owner and the bike had 1700 miles on it when I bought it. We put several thousand miles on the bike with no problems. The bike had SE exhaust and air filter. The ECM had been flashed to the up grade. Installed a set of Jug huggers to accommadate my wife. The Jug huggers were on the bike for seversl months before the problem developed. On a trip to Key West from Louisiana the bike began stalling when pulling in the clutch and coasting to a lite or what ever the reason for slowing down. The problem developed 300 miles into the trip. This problem developed in March and continues to this day. Looking through this web site I see this is not an unusual problem.
The changes I've made with the hopes of resolving the problem are as follows.
Moved the Air temp. sensor to the top air box(Factory Mod.), Running topless, Installed Power Commander. Several stalls created a IAC code, replaced IAC unit. I also installed a trick tank (5 gal.)The stealer has looked at it once and the bike did ok for several days but began stalling again. Starting is no problem but after warm up it begins stalling. Just road to Strugis and back and had the problem all the way up there and back. I can exercise the throttle while slowing down and some times this wil work and the bike will idle. I've also looked for poor grounds, lose connections and weak battery. When the dealer looked at it the first time they said the battery was alright and strong.
They also had the ECM learn the TSSM unit new to the bike and verify the ECM flash. It is back at the dealer and they are scratching their heads waiting on Harley tech. ANY HELP out there?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg

Over the course of events I also changed the throttle cables, went to SS braided. I was careful not change any settings on the throttle body. Again over the course of events I cleaned the throttle body and intake at least once. To tell you the truth I don't remember that cleaning the throttle body and the intake had much of an effect. If the dealer doesn't have any luck I'm ready to try again. I was wondering if fuel pressure could be involved?
Don't really have any tools to check.

Again thanks

Marty

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Fuel flange?
I had a problem that started out with dying and then esculated to running on one cylinder. Ended up being a bad coil.
That's my 2 cents

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
How does it run at high throttle openings? I seem to remember reading the fuel sock could move, resulting in a non permeable part - a disk of some sort - getting in the way and reducing the fuel flow. That might make it stall, but it would also make it run like a dog wide open.

Sorry for the imprecision, mine is new and has yet to misbehave, so I've not seen inside the tank.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
I had the same problems and tried everything also....I finally adjusted the butterfly idle adjustment screw until the linkage had no free play (it was real loose before). Everyone says do not touch that adjustment but I see no difference before and after. All I know is the bike idles now and the idle is still at 1200 +/- rpms.

I also drilled out a hole in the air box cover over the adjusting screw, so it can be adjusted without removing the bottom of the air box.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Louis said:
How does it run at high throttle openings? I seem to remember reading the fuel sock could move, resulting in a non permeable part - a disk of some sort - getting in the way and reducing the fuel flow. That might make it stall, but it would also make it run like a dog wide open.

Sorry for the imprecision, mine is new and has yet to misbehave, so I've not seen inside the tank.
I remember that thread. The sign was a black spot the size of a dime and the fix was to staple it. There was a picture attach in the thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Runs find once its rolling. I made the comment that I put the Jug Huggers on to accommadate my wife and I did but this scooter is the one that sends chills up my spine when I shower down on that throttle and I love the way it handles. If it didn't have this problem I would be, I mean my wife would be a happy camper. Thanks for the input I ready to try almost anything if the dealer doesn't have any luck.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Even so, might be worth taking it out on a good bit of open road, nailing the throttle open for a mile or two, and seeing if it starts to hiccup.

Failing that, coils, plugs, leads and earths.

Max will know more about it, I've been fiddling with bikes for 30 years, but all I know about V-Rods is what I've read here.

By the way, my Scooby just did the same, and it was the oxygen sensor - but I think only the 08s have one :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts