Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R stalled today :banghead: after I got home from a 300+ mile ride. It happened when the fan motors came on while idling pulling into my driveway!

I've been searching for the thread that talks about this that I read just a few days ago and I can't find it! Can someone help me, please?

Thanx,

Doc

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mine had a stall during tight pinched slow right turns, the problem was an out of date ecm flash. (program that runs the processor, ) any dealer should be able to update your bike to the latest flash.they usually do it whenever your bike comes in for service, but just ask em, they should do it.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Mine hasn't stalled in over 30,000 miles, once I remapped it. I think the stock EPA compliant mapping has some issues.

I am looking at a new 1098 Ducati and they are also having stalling issues. New ECM mapping is the party line but most serious buyers are removing the cats to address the heat under the seat and remapping before taking deleivery.

·
Registered
403 Posts
thedoctor77 said:
My R stalled today :banghead: after I got home from a 300+ mile ride. It happened when the fan motors came on while idling pulling into my driveway!

I've been searching for the thread that talks about this that I read just a few days ago and I can't find it! Can someone help me, please?

Thanx,

Doc
You lucky dog! Mine did it in rush hour traffic(in the left lane of course) on Main St here in Findlay. My fans had just kicked on as well. Now i hold the throttle a crack when slowing down to stop.

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
John
2,700 Posts
thedoctor77 said:
??

What do you mean? Your link poroduced this: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
Sorry... the link was suppose to take you to the search results for "stalling"

If you use the "Search" menu toward the top of the page (the black horizontal menu 8th item from the left) and put in the word stalling you'll find what you're looking for.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I had a problem with stalling, but it was me, I think. It was a combination of the awkward brake pedal (stepping on it by accident) and the fact that I need a few more RPM's with a revo motor than the evo motor. My geezer glide can basically pull stumps at idle, the R requires a tad more twist to get going.

I also installed a Gil's box, which may have something to do with it as well.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I believe I also read something about the fan's kicking on and the bike stalls simultaneously. I can't find it either. Sounds electrical. I would check your battery cables and any ground connections. Also check the fan wire connections.

Maybe someone will find that thread or read this post if they remember what the problem was.

Good luck.

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
landglider said:
If it only happened once it might have been caused by you.
Landglider,

Thank you for giving me a new word to use in my search. I don't think that I tried "stalling" and it has uncovered more useful threads. But, you didn't answer me as to how I could have caused this.

I do believe that I already mentioned that I was using the search function without success. Therfore, your directions to the location of the search function were superfluous.

To the subject at hand, my bike almost stalled again this evening. This time it was after only about 5 miles. I was stopping at a traffic light. I had the clutch pulled and I believe that the brake light was on; a turn signal was on. Then, the fans came on and the engine idle dropped momentarily, almost to zero, then came back to normal.

I believe this to be an electrical issue. Some of the suggestions from the searches mentioned the ground cables including yours, MNERREN. I am going to check these and clean them up if they need it. I've seen something like this before with a car running light and a brake light. With the lights on the running light was on. Apply the brake and the lights on one side went dark while the other side worked fine. Disassembly of the light socket revealed a corroded ground connection. I cleaned it up and it worked fine.

We'll see.

Doc

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Sounds like you may be experiencing a low voltage problem when the fans kick on and pull a lot of juice. Check the battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight. Also check the other end of the ground cables on top the front cylinder cover. If those are all OK then you may have a battery about ready to crap out on you and might want to go ahead and get a new one.

Mike

·
watch this
126 Posts
how many miles?

mine did that when it was new but i havent had a problem now that it is "broken in"......just bleep the throttle and you should be fine!

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bobbyoshay said:
how many miles?

mine did that when it was new but i havent had a problem now that it is "broken in"......just bleep the throttle and you should be fine!
I have 4480 miles on it. This didn't happen when it was new. It is a recent development. This suggests to me that something has degraded over time, such as an electrical connection.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
thedoctor77 said:
I have 4480 miles on it. This didn't happen when it was new. It is a recent development. This suggests to me that something has degraded over time, such as an electrical connection.
The battery will degrade over time and lose the ability to provide all of the current it did when it was new. If you don't find any connection problems you could try the battery.

Mine stalled new when the fans came on, with the IAT sensor on the front cylinder. HD did a recall to relocate it to the airbox and installed new mapping. The new mapping was not near as good as the original release but improved in 2004. I still went to the RT map and have not had a problem with it or the power commander. The stock epa map with lean conditions may cause more heat and the fans will cycle more.

Hope this helps.

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ground terminal on top of the front cylinder is clean and tight. I put the meter on the battery and it's 12.57 VDC. The chart sez that's 75% charged. Looks like I need a new battery.

Doc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts