Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings-- I've got an '06 R with '07 bars. I'm looking for the stainless throttle/idle cables-- does *anyone* have the part numbers? Or, even more helpful, the required lengths for the two cables? HD is not helpful as usual, and I know they exist.

Thanks.

R.

PS: I have the SS lines that I was using on my '06, and they worked fine with the '07 bars. The dealer did some work replacing the cam gaskets, and now the cables seem like they're about 1.5" too long (not the housing-- the cable)-- I can't adjust out enough slack to get the throttle plates to open to full throttle. I'm reaching thinking maybe maybe the cables have stretched, but that's kind of thin. Does anyone have any ideas?

Again, thanks!

R.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
From the '07 P&A Catalog:
SS cables for 2004-2005 VRSCBs and 2005-2007 VRSCRs => P/N 56611-04 (same number for both throttle & idle cables even though the stock (black) cables have different numbers). Housing length 27.5" with 70degree end fittings.

Cables do stretch.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the '07 P&A Catalog:
SS cables for 2004-2005 VRSCBs and 2005-2007 VRSCRs => P/N 56611-04 (same number for both throttle & idle cables even though the stock (black) cables have different numbers). Housing length 27.5" with 70degree end fittings.

Cables do stretch.
Thanks for the info-- just what I needed. I'm going to putter around tomorrow and see if I can figure this one out-- cables stretch, but this is ridiculous. I magically gained about an inch to an inch and a half of cable.

It's a weird one. I had the bike in the shop just before I left for the 'Stan to get the lower triple tree replaced. The only thing I can think of is that the cables got routed wrong, but my dealer's pretty decent, and honestly, how can you screw up cable routing on a throttle/idle cable? They pretty much only fit one way.

Huh.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you doing after your emergency surgery? I've been wondering if you were feeling better.
Thanks for asking! The appendectomy is fine, but the umbilical hernia is taking longer to heal. I got upchecked by the doc a few days ago, but got downchecked by the Company for lapsed landings.

On the plus side, it was their mistake, so I've got the weekend off with pay.

And a bike with psychotic throttle cables. Grr.

Well, they're burning down Colorado anyway, so riding is a bit limited. Garden of the Gods is STILL closed, and my buddies in the Springs are packing up things to store in my basement.

R.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Thanks for the info-- just what I needed. I'm going to putter around tomorrow and see if I can figure this one out-- cables stretch, but this is ridiculous. I magically gained about an inch to an inch and a half of cable.

It's a weird one. I had the bike in the shop just before I left for the 'Stan to get the lower triple tree replaced. The only thing I can think of is that the cables got routed wrong, but my dealer's pretty decent, and honestly, how can you screw up cable routing on a throttle/idle cable? They pretty much only fit one way.

Huh.

R.
True ... it's weird. It would be obvious if they were just misadjusted at the barrel thingies. My experience is that clutch cables stretch and throttle cables break right at the little ball or slug doohickies at the ends.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
It is possible to misroute the throttle cables. In the Service Manual and the Owners Manual there are warnings not to allow the throttle cables to come into contact with the battery terminal or an explosion may result. I'm sure that sometime during the bike's development someone did exactly this and the resulting arc welding caused a big fire. I am always careful as a result and have noticed there is some latitude to misroute the things if you are not careful.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is possible to misroute the throttle cables. In the Service Manual and the Owners Manual there are warnings not to allow the throttle cables to come into contact with the battery terminal or an explosion may result. I'm sure that sometime during the bike's development someone did exactly this and the resulting arc welding caused a big fire. I am always careful as a result and have noticed there is some latitude to misroute the things if you are not careful.
Yup-- I saw that in the manual, and that was one of the first things I checked. The housings look to be fine-- it's the internal cables that suddenly seem too long.

I'm on a three day trip tomorrow-- this will have to wait until the weekend I suppose.

R.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
When a HD tech worked on my bike he kinked the cables over the top of the terminal and thus had HD buy me a new bike....:moon: He was even aware of the bulletin..:spank::deal::banghead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts