Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a used mid-control kit on ebay. Came lacking many mounting bolts for the parts. Was thinking about using Stainless cap head allen bolts for rust prevention and looks. Any issue with bolt strength/sheer points that I should be worried about? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stainless bolts are softer than most people think. Generally less than grade 5 bolts.

I tend to limit them to cosmetic and low risk positions.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

Metic stainless are given an average 450mpa which is around 65,000 psi.

Im sure you could get by with them but the question is which is more important, that your hardware looks nice or that it's there when you go to brake or shift?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Stainless bolts are softer than most people think. Generally less than grade 5 bolts....
That depends on the source and specifically what SS alloy is used and how it's processed.

I've used Diamond Engineering to source SS fasteners. They use a 630 SS alloy with screws and washers supplied with 170 ksi tensile strength and nuts heat treated to 190 ksi. These meet or exceed the fastener strength used by HD for all visible parts including engine covers, suspension components, and brake hardware.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That depends on the source and specifically what SS alloy is used and how it's processed.

I've used Diamond Engineering to source SS fasteners. They use a 630 SS alloy with screws and washers supplied with 170 ksi tensile strength and nuts heat treated to 190 ksi. These meet or exceed the fastener strength used by HD for all visible parts including engine covers, suspension components, and brake hardware.
There are absolutely variations and good options out there but most hardware you'll find locally or online you should expect SS to be made of warm butter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered Useless
590 Posts
The only places where Stainless bolts should not be used is in the lower frame rails or rear shock mounts, the only places with high-sheer forces that will bend the bolt and/or deform the threads. (I know because I tried).

Everywhere else is fine, or wherever it threads into aluminum including the triple tree fork clamps. Essentially, threading into aluminium can in no way over stress a softer stainless steel fastener. I believe A2 stainless steel is of slightly higher tensile strength than 304.

Nevertheless, stainless steel bolts are far superior than chromed steel in cosmetic areas, they will never rust no matter how many times they are removed, they are inexpensive can be purchased from any fastener supply, and are so easy to bring up to a chrome luster by spinning on a drill with a tiny dab of AutoSol and a rag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts