Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to get ready for the riding season so I have the Roddy V in pieces right now. I figured while I have it apart I might as well replace the CRAPPY fasteners that HD insists on using with stainless steel bolts.
I am not interested in replacing the engine hardware at this time so I am concentrating my efforts on the rest of the bike.
My problem lies in the fact that my local fastener store has no interest in wasting their time matching up bolts only to make a few bucks in the end.
If anyone knows the specifications of these fasteners I would GREATLY appreciate it.
The bike is an 09' VRSCAWA

Passenger peg bolts
Shock bolts and washers
Front peg bolts (the one that attaches the footpeg support to the frame rail)
Shifter rod bolts
Frame rail bolts
Triple tree pinch bolts
Headlight bracket bolts (the ones that mount the bracket to the upper tree)
Side cover bolts
Side radiator cover bolts
Left side triangle frame section bolts (the part that has those cheap plastic plugs in the)

I listed the shock bolts since mine are pretty funky but I want to make sure that it is safe to replace those with stainless since it is more brittle.
Thank you in advance! :notworth:

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
best (easiest) bet is alloyboltz.com

Most of my stuff I got from them.

Service & parts manual are an integral part of vrsc ownership, since no one else seems to be interested in knowing about these bikes.

Conversely, you can go into your local dealership and ask to see (pray they have) a parts book - look up the part number in the blowup page and theres a part number/fastener spec cross reference in the back of the book that tells you what each one is.

BUT I WARN YOU.

Stainless hardware is like CRACK. Once you start, there's NO STOPPING until EVERY BOLT IS DONE. Put a couple in, and you'll REALLY NOTICE HOW CRAPPY everything else looks.

If the dealer is too far away - PM me and I'll try to make a parts list for you tomorrow.

But really, as expensive as they are, the alloyboltz show polished are great (and then you buy a bench grinder at harbor freight and learn how to do them yourself).

Rick

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick!
I checked out AlloyBoltz but they don't have anything other than a motor kit and handlebar switches. They mention being able to assemble a kit but that brings me back to not knowing what sizes and lengths to ask for.
My dealer is quite close but they are unfortunately one of the worst dealers I have ever had the displeasure to step foot in. I'm still waiting on a warranty claim form last April that they supposedly filed. Bunch of losers!!
Anyways,
I also tried Bike Bandit but it doesn't list all of the bolts specifications. Some list nothing but simply "bolt" and where it goes.
If you ever get some time and are bored I would truly appreciate any specs you can give me.
Thanks again man!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Have you tried Fastenal. They sell a gauge for thread pitch metric and standard,just measure your length pretty much all you need.

·
VRSC est -03
2,974 Posts
I have changed all bolts to stainless, but remember to use some Antiseize!!
And a torque-wrench wont hurt either..

Easier to get Metric here in Europe -like milk&butter..

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I use boltdepot for all my bolts. I keep meaning to get a list of bolts together for the parts on our bikes and get a kit together. I have a vibratory tumbler so if I get the right media I should be able to get the bolts nice and polished. They are pretty good stock though, just make sure you get the smooth ones.

-Keith

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Concur with BadAttitude - measure them! BadVR might have a complete list - he sells bolt kits, too. PM him. Joe

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
drive 15 minutes down the road to your local Fastenal and if they don't have it on the shelves they can get them in a day or two...and INexpensive.

835 Union Street
Salem, VA 24153-5120
(540) 389-1407

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!
I guess I'll order up the manual and make a list of the bolts to take to Fastenal. Haven't had a great deal of success with them when having them size the bolts up for me so hopefully that'll be different if I can tell them exactly what I need.
I'm still a bit dismayed at the way the stock fasteners have deteriorated over this past year. The bike has never even been wet yet they still have a crusty white appearance.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts