Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a set of stainless steel bolts for my engine. I found the Stainless Cycle set on ebay and cross-referenced it here. From the thread I read several people bought the set and liked it. My set came in the mail yesterday and I am very disappointed in the polish job. The top of the bolt is chrome-like but the sides are pitted. It looks like they were not sanded enough before polishing? I am attaching a picture that may be a little hard to see. If anyone has this Vrod set, please let me know if your set looks like this. I was expecting a chrome like finish on the entire bolt head. I'm thinking that my stock bolts look better.

Fastener Screw Nut Household hardware Hardware accessory

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
To make them right they would have to be sanded and polished. I use a scotchbrit (sp) wheel on my buffer to perp the part then polished. If this is the quality of his product he should be beat.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the stainless cycles bolt sets. The quality isn't the best and they don't clean out the heads of the fastners after they are done. I also ran into some issues with some improper sizes and missing bolts, but.......They sent me what I was missing, I cleaned out the compound, and they dont look bad installed. They won't corrode like the stock steel fastners either which is why I bought them in the first place.
In the end I'd say I got what I expected. They are MUCH cheaper than a high quality set would be. Check around and you'll see the same set you paid $50 for would cost about 3-5 times that through a major motorcycle hardware maker.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
hogster2003 said:
I have the stainless cycles bolt sets. The quality isn't the best and they don't clean out the heads of the fastners after they are done. I also ran into some issues with some improper sizes and missing bolts, but.......They sent me what I was missing, I cleaned out the compound, and they dont look bad installed. They won't corrode like the stock steel fastners either which is why I bought them in the first place.
In the end I'd say I got what I expected. They are MUCH cheaper than a high quality set would be. Check around and you'll see the same set you paid $50 for would cost about 3-5 times that through a major motorcycle hardware maker.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

Exactly go to Lowes and buy about 10 stainless bolts and its going to be $50.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VRod RS said:
I would/and do get all my polished stainless fasteners from this place.. They have very high quality fasteners and have all the styles needed for Harleys.

Very nice stuff. Do you just call them up and order or do you order through another site?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
VRod RS said:
I would/and do get all my polished stainless fasteners from this place.. They have very high quality fasteners and have all the styles needed for Harleys.

you rock... that's exactly what I was looking for today.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
you rock... that's exactly what I was looking for today.
Holy CRAP, they are EXPENSIVE!!!!! A complete V-Rod visible bolt set for $599!?! Wow.

I bought from Carolina Fasteners (eBay Carofast) and a kit that included SS bolts/washers for the following was $65:

• Alternator Cover
  • Derby Cover
  • Cam Cover
  • Coolant drains - Injector tabs
  • Intake Vacuum Plugs
  • Oil Filter Mount
  • Starter Kit
  • Thermostat Kit
  • Water Pump Kit
  • Clutch Cover
  • Crank Position Sensor

I am very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Cdale136 said:
Very nice stuff. Do you just call them up and order or do you order through another site?
You just call them and order.. the PDF gives you the retail price list and what they sell.. This place builds all their own and they are very nice.. The prices are good too for what you are getting..

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Holy CRAP, they are EXPENSIVE!!!!! A complete V-Rod visible bolt set for $599!?! Wow.

I bought from Carolina Fasteners (eBay Carofast) and a kit that included SS bolts/washers for the following was $65:

• Alternator Cover
  • Derby Cover
  • Cam Cover
  • Coolant drains - Injector tabs
  • Intake Vacuum Plugs
  • Oil Filter Mount
  • Starter Kit
  • Thermostat Kit
  • Water Pump Kit
  • Clutch Cover
  • Crank Position Sensor

I am very satisfied.
Yes, but look at what you are getting in comparison and the quality is second to none. So you get what you pay for..

Replaces every visible bolt on motorcycle, includes:
• Alternator Cover
• Crank & Trans Sensors
• Cam Cover
• Clutch Cover
• Water Pump
• Thermostat
• Coolant Drains
• Intake Vacuum Plugs
• Injector Retaining Tab
• Case Bolts
• Oil Pan