Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Quick intro. I own a 2017 night rod special with a stage 1 kit V&H 2:1 competition exhaust, but I want more POWER. I started riding when I bought this bike new in late 2017, so I dont know too much about them. I need some advice.

1) Which stage 2 kit should I buy that will give me more hp/torque in the mid range
2) How much will the kit cost
3) My bike still has factory warranty, but should I take it to sawgrass HD to have it installed/dynoed, or does anyone know of any vrod experts in the South Florida region
4) Is it worth the cost

Bonus questions:
Should I upgrade my tire size from a 240 to a 250 or 260 and if so how would it change the handling of the bike

Thank you guys in advance.

·
VRSCF
1,264 Posts
Cant advice on stage II, still considering it myself after 7 years with my F, its due a valve service next time, so could save some labour. But undecided if the extra 10bhp or so is worth the cost of the kit + fitting and tune. Some people say the power with the Harley Stage II cams is all up top after 6K ....

Re the tire, a popular upgrade is a Metz 260mm. Ive been running those for over 6 years now, on the 5th rear tyre now. It actually felt better when I replaced the OE original Michelin because the tyre was a few pounds lighter. So yeah, when you change tyre, just go Metz 260 :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely consider the tire upgrade once I need to replace it. I definitely want to stage 2 upgrade, but I have no experience in it. I am not sure what to buy or even if HD sawgrass can do a stage 2 on it. I hope someone adds some more advise

·
VRSCF
1,264 Posts
You need to buy this kit part number 30076-09 KIT VR PERFORMANCE - you may be able to find on sale in USA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-D-PART-NO-30076-09-KIT-VR-PERFORMANCE/163399753296?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=e2bc293bc07943ca8e32c4e42592e68c&pid=100290&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=253491601014&itm=163399753296&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

if you already have stage 1, you must have a tuner on the bike, which you can use.

Yes a Harley dealer will be able to fit, usually they just put the default map on for a super tuner that comes on the CD with it. If they have a dyno/rolling road setup then you might be lucky and they can do a custom map, which is ideal.

The labour cost is high to fit the cams, then there could be dyno time on top of that....and purchase of the kit. Over here in the UK at a Harley dealer its about £500-600 in labour....£400 for kit and dyno time...maybe £200-300. So not a cheap upgrade for 10-12bhp at the wheel. Thats nearly 1/2 way to a turbo kit cost :)

There are lots of threads on here if you search for stage II where you can read about other owners results, cost etc. Most recently some owners have been going for different cams from Jones which are supposed to be better than the HD ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY for the reply. From what I have read, many vroders suggest getting the Jones cam. I visited their website and wrote to him but go no reply. You mention a turbo. Don't I need to upgrade to at least a stage 3 or 4 before I add on a turbo? I really dont know. Whats the benefit of a turbo on a vrod? I already have a vance and hines 2:1 competition exhaust, would I need to change the exhaust?

·
VRSCF
1,264 Posts
Yeah, Jones have a following, it cant be that big though as Jones only make a couple of low volume runs of cams. They are not in mass production, the VRod is such a rare bike its not worth it. There was a group buy on here, you can find details elsewhere on the forum, maybe even some cams for sale.

You can add a turbo to your bike now, and all you will need is a remap of your tuner. You gain a lot more real power and torque e.g. cams may give you 10-15bhp, a turbo may start out with an extra 50bhp on otherwise standard engine, with scope for even more power with more mods later. No need to change your exhaust it would be fine.

Lots more info again in the turbo/high performance section on this forum.

·
VRSCF
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok here is my thought, your bike is 2017 night rod.. it should be light, and to go to stage 2 that fast as the guys it's too early. (stage one with lighting body weight) and dyno..its important to run it more than one with some expert, you will see the different that will. I never heard that V-rod can go more than 130Hp or maybe more a bit.
I'm giving you my opinion If you have the money to spend go for lightweight and change the intake to something bigger.
but engine feeling sorry to lose the new engine so early

1 - 9 of 9 Posts