Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I picked up a new set of black heads and sent them out for work. My heads are back from V&H - street/strip CNC ported and I just realized that I have misplaced a set of tappets and all shims. W/o these I can't gauge out the proper shim size for the Stage 2 cams and set these heads up off of the bike. I could pull my old heads and swap out the tappets but that would mean more down time waiting for the correct shim sizes to come in. My question is this - can the heads/cams be set-up properly off of the bike? If so, does someone have a set of tappets/shims that I could use as a starting measurement point? Should I buy new tappets or are used ones OK? After this job is done I will have an extra set of black heads w/19K on them up for sale or trade.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
IMO you should always use new tappets with new cams. This is the same thought in the auto market with cams and lifters.

You cannot just borrow tappets and set them up as there will be manufacturing tolerances with the thicknesses. Not to mention that setting up off the bike can cause changes to the lash once they are torqued down. I had this happen on my old 1350 build and now do not even waste the time to do them off the engine.

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO you should always use new tappets with new cams. This is the same thought in the auto market with cams and lifters. This makes sense - although I have not heard any one here mention they were putting in new tappets. Part # please.

You cannot just borrow tappets and set them up as there will be manufacturing tolerances with the thicknesses. If I put new tappets in, I still need shims to start out my measurements with since right now I have NONE.Can I borrow shims to put under the new tappets from someone else to get the correct measurement for an order? Not to mention that setting up off the bike can cause changes to the lash once they are torqued down. I understand that lash will change, but I'm thinking that shim height will stay the same if set-up off the bike right? I had this happen on my old 1350 build and now do not even waste the time to do them off the engine. I sure wish that you engine guru guys were closer to the west coast!!

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Lube up cause those tappets are not cheap!

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was quoted $15.50 ea. x 8 tappets = $124. I still need a set of shims as a starting point for measurement if I set up the cams/lash off of the bike. Otherwise, I will use my old shims from my old heads and have some down time waiting for the shim order to come in!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ordered some a few weeks back they were $118 shipped from Zanotti's. And only took 6 or 7 days to get them.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I was quoted $15.50 ea. x 8 tappets = $124. I still need a set of shims as a starting point for measurement if I set up the cams/lash off of the bike. Otherwise, I will use my old shims from my old heads and have some down time waiting for the shim order to come in!
Search the internet for HOTCAMS 10 mm cam shim kits. There’s lots of places that carry them for about $70 for 84 shims (3 of each in 28 sizes from 1.85 to 3.2 mm in 0.05 mm increments).

Here’s one example.

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that is a great price on a kit, but I only need 8 - maybe more if my lash measurement was to change after torquing the heads down.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
VH has lost a few sets of these in past. If I where you I would call them and make sure they looked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts