Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had surgery on my right wrist on tuesday. So looks like I will not be riding bike for three weeks. Meanwhile, it is sitting in the garage, clean but gets humid and cold in there. Should I put Sta-bil in the tank ofr the three weeks? Also, is there any other fuel adatives I should add regualry and run. I hope to buy service manual soon. I got the bike in July with 3200 miles, has 4800 already!! I plan to keep it out untill thanksgiving, untill I store it in my parents garage which happens to be heated during the winter. Are there any major things to do for storage..should I change oil at end of season or start of next?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
For three weeks you have nothing to worry about.

When you store it for the winter then fill the tank with 93+ octane gas. Change the oil BEFORE you store bike. It should be OK. I personally don't like sta-bil. Never saw it work all that good.

OR

When I lived up north.....I would drain the fuel tank COMPLETLY, drain the fuel lines, etc. Pull the spark plugs and give a couple of squirts of oil in each one. Change the motor oil. Jack the bike, if I could, off the tires. Inflate the tires to 40-45 psi. Wax the bike, paint and chrome. Remove the battery. And dream about Spring Time.

Here in Sunny Florida.....well I just keep riding. Hmmm that's about all that is required.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
3 weeks in nothing to worry about. When you do put it in storage, fill it with gas, add stabilizer, change oil and run for a minute or so. Say good night and you will be ready in spring. Do NOT periodically start the bike during winter, doing so only increases the condensation in the engine.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
o2man98 said:
3 weeks in nothing to worry about. When you do put it in storage, fill it with gas, add stabilizer, change oil and run for a minute or so. Say good night and you will be ready in spring. Do NOT periodically start the bike during winter, doing so only increases the condensation in the engine.

Another lesson learned. I had heard somewhere a long time ago that it was good to periodically start bikes, cars etc when they were in storage. I'm going to go with Kens advice on this one :)
Thanks again Ken, 1130cc. :cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
three weeks should be no problem, I use stabil for equipment that will be stored for months and I have had no problem, you will also find premium fuel stores longer without going bad and gumming up things even in changing temperatures which cause more of a problem because of the condensation created.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Why so you need to change the oil before you store it? Why wouldn't you just wait and change it right after storage? I'm asking a serious question, not trying to bash anyones suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I've heard you can add 2 stroke oil to the gas as well, does the same thing as a stablizer.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Frankjake said:
Why so you need to change the oil before you store it? Why wouldn't you just wait and change it right after storage? I'm asking a serious question, not trying to bash anyones suggestions.
The reason you want to change your oil before storage is to remove any acids that build up in the oil as combustion by-products. Oil contains additives to neutralize acids which make up the TBN (Total Base Number). As oil has miles put on it and as well as being exposed to oxygen, the TBN is slowly used up and is no longer able to fight off these acids. In the worst case scenario you can have etching from the acids on things such as bearing surfaces.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
gsxrdoug said:
I've heard you can add 2 stroke oil to the gas as well, does the same thing as a stablizer.
Some 2-stroke oils, usually pre-mix oils, do have a stabilizer in the oil. I would not recommend this method in your V-Rod or any vehicle with catalytic converters. For reasons such as injector gumming, fouling, and cat plugging.

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
jmullins said:
Another lesson learned. I had heard somewhere a long time ago that it was good to periodically start bikes, cars etc when they were in storage. I'm going to go with Kens advice on this one :)
Thanks again Ken, 1130cc. :cheers:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason anyone would recommend starting cars, bikes, ect during the storage period is to prevent the battery from dying. Remove the battery, or use a tender, keeps it workin :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts