Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike runs great most of the time but recently I got caught in a big rain storm and I got pretty worried that I wasn't going to make it home because it started loosing power intermitantly. I guess I would call it a sputter or a miss. Not really sure where to look for this, was kinda wondering if I sucked some water into the air box or maybe the electrical got wet, but maybe someone else has seen this before? I have a dealer installed stage 1 done to the motor. (SE pipes, Filter, and computer flash)

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Sounds like you got water in an electrical connector, how is it running now.

FWIW it is very hard to suck water into the motor if the airbox is on

·
Scott
492 Posts
This happened to me after a really good power wash one afternoon. Puttered home, the next day it was running fine but took it into the dealer for service. They couldn't replicate the putter but after an hour of looking around found the problem:

Take your left side cover off. There is a very large (about the size of a childs hand) connector should be right in front. Pull it out towards you and then pull it apart. If it drains of water or some of the connectos are rusted, clean out what you can, get a tube of dielectric grease and squeeze a generous amount into the valley of the female end of the connector. Push the two connectors together tight and wrap the it all up, right to the cables with duct tape to seal out the water.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response, I'll try that, but which left side cover are you talking about? The left side of the radiator, or the left slotted cover?

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
toy_collector said:
Thanks for the response, I'll try that, but which left side cover are you talking about? The left side of the radiator, or the left slotted cover?
Slotted cover

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
That is the ECM you are talking about under the cover and it will run like crap, or not run at all if you get water in that connection. It does have a rubber seal around the connector that is normally water proof so you want to make sure it is in place, nice and smooth with no tears or gaps or wrinkles in it.

Mike

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled apart the connector that is shown in the attached pic and the water just poured out of it. That connector goes to the headlight so I'm not sure how it would make the bike run poorly but I figured it can't be good. I lubed it up with vasoline and put electrical tape around all the openings, maybe it will stay dry now.

Attachments

·
Scott
492 Posts
Elgavilan said:
That is the ECM you are talking about under the cover and it will run like crap, or not run at all if you get water in that connection. It does have a rubber seal around the connector that is normally water proof so you want to make sure it is in place, nice and smooth with no tears or gaps or wrinkles in it.

Mike
What's interesting is that the water doesn't come in through that seal, it gets in there through the two cable inlets!! The ECM is positioned so that the cable are on the top of the ECM unit so water gets in from the top and the seal keeps the water contained in the ECM. That's why you have to duct tape the unit up pass both cables leading into the ECM.

·
Scott
492 Posts
toy_collector said:
I pulled apart the connector that is shown in the attached pic and the water just poured out of it. That connector goes to the headlight so I'm not sure how it would make the bike run poorly but I figured it can't be good. I lubed it up with vasoline and put electrical tape around all the openings, maybe it will stay dry now.
Toy...that's the wrong connector. It's the big light-grey one behind the two multi-wire leds. I also wouldn't use Vasoline. Go to ACE Hareware and get a small tube of Di-electric grease!

·
Scott
492 Posts
Toy...that's the wrong connector. It's the big light-grey one behind the two multi-wire leds. I also wouldn't use Vasoline. Go to ACE Hareware and get a small tube of Di-electric grease!

Here's a pic of the connector and the fix...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts