Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Frank,

Are you sure that this a good idea? The fuel tank is a multi-layer polypropylene unit. Though it is rigid, it will expand and contract with heat which might crack the chrome.

Just a thought....

-Bry

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Good point Bruce.But with being chrome the sun will reflect the light better,not absorbing it like black does.

Frank, that would look sharp.Just remember chrome holds heat in.To bad the plastic fender isn't made out of something stronger,that would look good chrome.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
vrodvinny said:
Good point Bruce.But with being chrome the sun will reflect the light better,not absorbing it like black does.
Unfortunately, the tank is being heated from the inside as well. The fuel system is a MRFS (Mechanical Return Fuel System). Thus any fuel that is not used by the fuel injectors is returned tothe tank. This fuel gets heated by pressure provided by the pump as well as by the convection off of the engine. Though there is a built in heatshield on the frame, the fuel lines them selves are not shielded and will pick up heat. :( Just my :2cents

-Bry

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Bruce,
True.BuT frank lives in FL.(The Sunshine State).With it being more reflective it might be cooler.It won't be aborbing the sun like the black tank will.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Maybe its just me, but the black tank shows off the frame. I like the contrast. There is enough chrome on this thing. JMHO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ozzy,

So you can spray plastic parts to look chrome?

I'm interested in having you spray the plastic dog's a$$ if so...

Leon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Leon, yes we can spray anything with our chrome system BUT there are several things to keep in mind.

1) The surface has to be prepared and polished to a very smoothed surface, otherwise the chrome will take on the flaws of the object and not look right.

2) Our spray chrome is about as close as you can get to chrome, but it still has only about 90-95% of the reflective quality of chrome. The only thing out there better is the vacuum based systems (like the way HD does there chrome helmets) and these systems start around 50K to setup.

Since there is a lot of labor involved and the chemicals are pretty expensive the cost is more than traditional chroming and since there is a lot of aftermarket products available it might be best to look at one of them.

My motto is that if it can be chromed traditionally or there are other products out there then go that route, but for things such as the fiberglass tanks and so forth this is a good system.

If you cover the spray chrome up with one of our candy colors like a smoke gray, black, red, etc. there is very little difference in reflective quality though.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Frank, I have the following pieces being chromed now by a company called A.V.A Finishing as an experiment: Gas Tank, rad cover - (the center piece), headlight bucket, tail light / license plate assembly, the rear inner fender, & the rear brake master cylinder. If I don't like them on the bike I will be selling them.

They use a 3-step process with copper, nickel, & chrome much the same as what you would use on metal. I expect the pieces to arrive in the next 2 weeks and would be happy to post pic's of the chromed pieces when I get them.

Sean (Ozzy), I am confused. I had sent you these pieces for chroming but you couldn't do it. Have you made changes with your equipment / processes that enable you to do the spray chrome now?

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
darrellh said:
Frank, I have the following pieces being chromed now by a company called A.V.A Finishing as an experiment: Gas Tank, rad cover - (the center piece), headlight bucket, tail light / license plate assembly, the rear inner fender, & the rear brake master cylinder. If I don't like them on the bike I will be selling them.

They use a 3-step process with copper, nickel, & chrome much the same as what you would use on metal. I expect the pieces to arrive in the next 2 weeks and would be happy to post pic's of the chromed pieces when I get them.

Sean (Ozzy), I am confused. I had sent you these pieces for chroming but you couldn't do it. Have you made changes with your equipment / processes that enable you to do the spray chrome now?
darrellh

First things first. I see this is your first post. I would like to welcome you aboard.:welcome:

Please post some pics before you install and after you install.

Also how much did they charge for each item and what was the turn around time.

Most Respectfully
Frank

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Thanks frank for the welcome. Found this site from the V-twins forum. Will post the before & after pics. Don't have the pricing breakdown at the moment but will post it with the pic's. The turn around time is about 1 month but that may be due to the Christmas break falling in between. The parts I sent were all new parts, not parts I took off the bike, so I wasn't too concerned about turn around time. Besides my bike is in pieces at the moment while the frame is being chromed. I am not sure yet if I will leave all the parts chromed or do some sort of translucent color over top of the chrome to tie into the new paint set. I believe Sean can do translucent candy over chrome.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that when nickel and copper is liquid and in a tank it is either hot or acid is breaking it down. I know that spray chrome like model cars and other plastic is cooler in temp. Is the traditional chroming not too "hot" chemically for plastics like the tailight/fender/dog's a$$ ?
It may be a dumb question, I never claimed to be knowledgeable !
Thanks for answering it though.
BobT

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I used the same company Darrell used (A.V.A. Finishing - ChromeMyPlastic.com) to chrome my plastic headlight bucket. It turned out great and the pricing was very reasonable, IMO - $85.

Craig

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Darrell, how is everything going. Did you ever get everything worked out with HD on your tour bike:confused:

Yes we were able to figure out what was going on with the spray chrome system (had to change a few chemicals that we were using)

Sean

1 - 20 of 43 Posts