Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have seen this problem atleast once before. I noticed a noise coming from the right side of the bike when riding last night. When I got home I noticed the heat-shield that attaches via two Torx screws to the Auxiliary Chamber right in front of the exhaust tips was loose, even though the two srews were tight. Well I lifted that part of the heat shield off and noticed that the spot welds that hold the two brackets with threads had broken off from the actual exhaust. So even though those two Torx scews were tight there was noting attaching them to the exhaust causing the vibration of the heat shield.

I have an appointment Saturday to bring the bike in so that the dealer can inspect it and order the parts. It really is in't that big of a deal, but they are going to have to replace that section of exhaust since the spot welds failed. I'm just bumed becase my bike is running so good, I hate to see it get touched. Also having to bring the bike in then again when the parts are there is a waste of good riding time!!!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I am the only one ever with this problem or nobody cares

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just ran out to take a look at mine. I heard a noise this morning going into work, but everything seems to be still holding and tight. I did find some kind of clamp, that is about 1/8th inch wide that is loose just behind the clamp/bracket that is holding the header pipes just infront of the 3rd. volume,(I think that is what it is called) It looks like one of those that gets pulled tight and then somehow crimped. I do not hear an exhaust leak so I ASSume I can try and figure it out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just hope its covered under warranty

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I brought it to the dealership this morning and I really love those guys. They ordered me anew exhaust (the section with the third volume), all new mounting hardware and updated Torx screws and it is all covered under warranty. You just can't beat that kind of service!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had the best service from this dealership. What's even better is that the Service manager knows VRODs and their shop formen is one of the best in the industry!!! If you live in Central Florida you have to check out Gulf Coast Harley Davidson!!!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Last weekend mine broke off the front on the X,the cage that keeps the nut was gone.I just welded the nut to the center section and all is well again.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Last weekend mine broke off the front on the X,the cage that keeps the nut was gone.I just welded the nut to the center section and all is well again.

Elrod on the V-Rod
It is covered under warranty....but hey if you can fix it even better

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The metal used for the cages gets brittle at the weld points,so it will probably happen again w a new one.I have a welder and it took all of 10 minutes for the fix,plus from experience on this,it seems to be a permanent repair.
V-Rods aren't the only pipes that this happens to,I've welded a few different styles and makes for Dynas.

This had to have been breaking for a while because now I don't hear the ghost noise that's never there when I remove my helmet to listen.I had the bike running outside and I heard the noise when I was in the house,I couldn't hear it up close,weird huh.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
I have had the best service from this dealership. What's even better is that the Service manager knows VRODs and their shop formen is one of the best in the industry!!! If you live in Central Florida you have to check out Gulf Coast Harley Davidson!!!
Thats good to hear, maybe like a Virus it will spread across the country and other dealerships will catch it.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Well I brought it to the dealership this morning and I really love those guys. They ordered me anew exhaust (the section with the third volume), all new mounting hardware and updated Torx screws and it is all covered under warranty. You just can't beat that kind of service!
Who is your dealer?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RustyG said:
Who is your dealer?
Gulf Coast Harley Davidson in New Port Richey:notworth:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts