Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the best way to mount a flag? :bs: Would like to do a decent size flag (3 x 5ish?).

Pictures would be knarly! :D

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Why mount just one flag... the poor guy thinks his bike is 100% made in America
9829546.jpg

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Why mount just one flag... the poor guy thinks his bike is 100% made in America
View attachment 155861
Flags are probably made in Bangladesh too.

Answer to the Question is "No I do not know how to mount a flag to the bike", I would like to know, I got some Yankee Pride to show off!!!!!! Maybe some Cowboy Pride later this Year!!!!

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
have welder, will travel..

·
Pure Hooliganism
686 Posts
Sorry, can't find a picture, but I now mount a flag onto my sissy bar upright with the HD flag kit. Only takes two zip ties each time. Before that, I found a two foot CB antenna and took an 8 inch by 1 inch piece of aluminum and twisted a 90 degree in the end. Drilled two holes that would fit the license plate and mounted it like I was running a CB. Changed out the flags from a WA state flag, US flag, Jolly Roger, checkered and Canadian depending on the ride. That sucker waved around like nobody's business and I liked it cause it was visible. But in the end, it banged around on my luggage and I tired of it. Went with the HD US flag kit. Course you need some sort of sissy bar to attach it to!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Answer to the Question is "No I do not know how to mount a flag to the bike", I would like to know, I got some Yankee Pride to show off!!!!!! Maybe some Cowboy Pride later this Year!!!!
Do they make flame retardant ones that only raise to half mast?

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Flags are probably made in Bangladesh too.

Cowboy Pride in Beverly Hills .. Flag Up.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I have seen guys on the beach roller blading with flags stuck up their arse, maybe this is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have seen guys on the beach roller blading with flags stuck up their arse, maybe this is the way to go.
That's a lot of information to process. Not 100% where that is going but suffice to say, its ok to love your country but its not ok to "love" your country.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daylon, I really don't think I want to weld on the bike. The original owner did enough for that for my liking. Thanks for the offer though.

Broondog, how big of a flag? At highway speeds weren't you affraid of it breaking the licence plate mount? Isn't it all plastic?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
...to skin a cat

Anyone know the best way to mount a flag? :bs: Would like to do a decent size flag (3 x 5ish?).

Pictures would be knarly! :D
How about some pictures of the back of your bike?

If you already have a seat brace, its a cinch... just use the 4 bolt holes to attach a plate with a pole. You could even use a pipe mount flange if you don't have a welder.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I have a luggage rack and made a wood block (nicely finished) that I can tie-wrap to it. I can carry small flags by inserting them in holes drilled in the block or add bracketry for larger ones. It'll handle a fair sized flag if it's not on too long a mast.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i don't like motorcyclist that fly flags because they are generally driving slow and I have to pass them in the twisties....that's why i don't like them, no other reason.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in a small community (less than 10k). Sports are something that the community comes together for. The evening of first home game, there is a short poker run. The last stop of the run is the football field. We actually drive around the field in the stadium (already filled with people).

I thought it would be a nice touch to fly an American flag and a team flag. This would probably be the only time they are on the bike.

Based of the dung being flung around, I won't go into my reasoning for flying either. I would hope it was obvious though.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
I live in a small community (less than 10k). Sports are something that the community comes together for. The evening of first home game, there is a short poker run. The last stop of the run is the football field. We actually drive around the field in the stadium (already filled with people).

I thought it would be a nice touch to fly an American flag and a team flag. This would probably be the only time they are on the bike.

Based of the dung being flung around, I won't go into my reasoning for flying either. I would hope it was obvious though.
I was thinking about the engineering on it last night, and looking back at that pic that Stomper threw in eons ago.

Those flags look to be in the 3'x5' class. There's quite a bit of hardware on the base to hold those things, and I'd be surprised if they didn't overstress those base mounts if she weren't giving some level of support. And I'd be surprised if they were doing over maybe 5mph - parade speed.

A flag that big will generate a lot of drag. You need a firm mount for something like that, or it's just going to, at best, bend what you have it on. I don't think anything short of a lot of steel on the bike will hold something like that for anything over minimal parade speed. Sissy bar definitely won't, and I'd be very suspect of the base plate/luggage rack.

Offhand, the only place that might be firm enough to start working off of would be the exhaust mount somehow, and you're going to need to extend the bracing up high enough to deal with the pole the flag's on.

I'd stay away from trying to put something that large on a fender/seat. I don't think you've got enough strength there to not just have it tear itself off.

Then again, I tend to overengineer that stuff, so chances are I'm offbase.

Now, if you were talking 3"x5", then you can zip tie that where ever you want. :stilpoke:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts