Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to check the Clutch fluid level in the Sportier, Its telling me to put it on the lift to make the bike Upright, Remove both the Small Inspection cover and the Larger Circle Cover. Now to me it would appear that if I remove the Large circle I will spill fluid everywhere no? Bike has 3500 miles on it now is it Necessary t check the level? They say Not to change it until 5000.

Thanx for listening.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The level will be below that unless it's been over filled. It should be even with the clutch diaphram spring which is a larger diameter than the opening of the clutch inspection cover.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Lux, There is no reason to check the clutch and transmission levels on those bikes. There is no place for the fluid to go unless you have a leak which should be apparent. It wont burn off like engine oil which can sneak past worn parts into the combustion chamber.

The only possible reason I could think of is if you suspect the bike hasn't been service properly.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Wow,3500 miles.I would have changed it at least a couple of times by now,same w the engine.The crap they install from the factory is just that.Wait til you see how black it is.it will take a couple of services using top grade oil to get it all out.
Make sure not to over fill it.Over filling it will cause the clutch to drag.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the Oil at 1000 miles, had the dealer do it all at 2000, will do both at 3500.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I changed the Oil at 1000 miles, had the dealer do it all at 2000, will do both at 3500.
Did someone give you a copy of the Obsessive Compulsive's Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance? Do they make any mention of whether or not they recommend replacing the clutch cover gasket when you do this?

Any news from the VRSCA front?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did someone give you a copy of the Obsessive Compulsive's Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance? Do they make any mention of whether or not they recommend replacing the clutch cover gasket when you do this?

I stopped by yesterday, the motor is going into the Motor "Lift" that allows them to spin it and turn it etc... today, should have it back middle next week. Might stop by Friday to see it and find out what went wrong this time. Warranty is covering it all again.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts

That's funny. The service manual does say to change the gasket when you go to put the clutch cover back on after checking the clutch for proper adjustment at every service interval. I never changed mine when I had a 1200 custom. Saw no need for it and it never leaked a drop.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's funny. The service manual does say to change the gasket when you go to put the clutch cover back on after checking the clutch for proper adjustment at every service interval. I never changed mine when I had a 1200 custom. Saw no need for it and it never leaked a drop.
Clutch does need some adjusting, its Difficult at Stops to get it to go into 1st. I dont know how to do it so I will leave it.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Clutch does need some adjusting, its Difficult at Stops to get it to go into 1st. I dont know how to do it so I will leave it.
Assuming you have a service manual it should have the procedure for adjusting the clutch in there. It's a simple procedure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts