Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out for a ride with the HD sport screen (the small one) fitted and I'm most dissapointed. It causes my full face to vibrate so much, my specs vibrate too. I'm 6ft tall and using the standard seat, I have a Sundowner to fit when I get the baseplate, so maybe this will adjust where I sit. The other thing to do would be tilt it more upright, but without longer support rods I don't see how.
As anyone else overcome this or will the sundowner sort it.

Regards

·
Registered
103 Posts
I mounted my sport windshield on Thursday. First as high as possible, it took the wind of my chest, but it was very loud. Then it putted windshieldmounts upside down, enough wind taken from my chest, it was not very loud, but the wind hits just into my eyes. Now i have it in the middle, adjusted as long as it fits. It works good, the only little problem is the noise with my arai helmets - with the jet helmet i can't drive faster than 110 km/h, the integral helmet is good for 130 km/h. I think i need a new helemt, the windshield works pretty good.
Teppo

·
Banned
924 Posts
I have the sport windshield (small one). I'm not very happy with it either. Was looking to get longer rods to adjust it up higher but I'm not sure that will help much. I'm 6'0". I have the Willie Davidson seat (1" lower) and the Harley drag bars (1" lower and 1" forward). The air is totally off my chest but hits me right at my eyes. If I arch my back to set a little lower it's much better (quiet and no wind in the face). My friend has the super sport and even though it's much larger, has the same issue. The difference is; in addition to similar buffeting issues, the supper sport also rattles. Knowing the larger one performs about the same for my height, I'm ok with the sport. Besides, I love the look so it has to stay. I just live with the noise and occasional blast of wind in the face (only when I'm going to fast). With all the wind noise and v-mods my solution is to carry ear plugs...

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remounted the screen with the U shaped bracket upside down and moved the arms to suit, and went for a ride. It's a bit better but still not right, I then took it off completly and no buffeting, but it's amazing how much more you have to hang on.
So I'm stuck between a rock & hard place here, hanging on with no protection from the wind or have my brain rattling around inside my helmet.
Need the arms lengthened to tip the screen more upright I think.

Not all is lost though, adjusted shocks to No.3 (I'm 180) and much better on our bumpy UK roads, scraped my pipes on No.2.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I've been through the SS and the Sport and I'm awaiting the arrival of the touring windshield I bought on ebay (should be here Wednesday).

So far the SS was a total abomination, took it off after 1 ride. the Sport was better and kept me from having to hold on for dear life @ 80 but the buffeting under certain conditions bounced my head around like a bobblehead doll. With no windshield the airflow is perfect but above 70 i'm not able to relax because of the pressure in my chest.

I'm hoping the touring windshield will allow me to enjoy the longer high speed runs. Of course it stays off the bike for around town and back road blasts but for some of those 200 - 300 mile Sunday rides we like so much I'll forgo the looks to enjoy the ride more. If it wasn't a quick detach then I'd simply not use anything.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
MJ, I'm betting you will notice the updraft with the touring shield. The Memphis shade Lowers cure it, but don't pop off like the shield does.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I have one too

Just an observation but the V-rod is not a bagger, it is for all intents and purposes a sport bike. I have a sport windshield and you guys are right it sucks. The bike wasn't meant to have a windshield though. Think of it like a cool custom chopper, it just takes away from the looks. I lowered my bike, as well as installed a set of drag bars. When the WS is on it looks gay. The bike is set off when you take the thing away. When you ride with your WS do you cruise the bike or do you ride it like you stole it. I guess the bottom line is Harley shouldn't rip us off with these expensive windshields that do nothing. Ride hard fellow v-rodders
:2cents:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
I guess the bottom line is Harley shouldn't rip us off with these expensive windshields that do nothing. Ride hard fellow v-rodders
Personally, I think we're pretty lucky to have the choices that we do as far as windshields go.

I've had my SS since the bike was almost new (one of my first accessory purchases) - and I've been real pleased. About a year ago I broke one of the mounting brackets, and was forced to ride without it for a month till a replacement came in - and I really missed it. I know a lot of folks don't like the SS (or the other choices) - but for me it works just great. I guess that windshields (like dogs, smoking, TV shows, and whole bunch of other stuff) are a personal preference thing. I think it also has a lot to do with how and where you ride, how tall you are, whether you wear a helmet or not, etc. A guy blasting up and down the boulevards of sunny So. California is going to have different requirements from a would-be tourer putting in big saddle time on the Great Plains interstates between Chicago and Denver. I personally would hate to ride with no windshield in temperatures below 45 F; and especially if it was raining out - but these are conditions some guys have never experienced on their bikes.

I guess my recommendation as far as windshields go is to go with what makes sense to you. Think about the sort of riding you want to do, and how you want your bike to look. No windshield is going to make the V-Rod into a Goldwing. And if you ride your bike at 80 mph on the freeway - you are going to feel the wind on your head and body. Dress appropriately, and you won't be to uncomfortable - but it will still take a while for you to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I guess a major question is - do you ride to be seen, or ride to ride? If you really care how you look, it doesn't matter what windshield you have. I stopped driving to be seen 30 some years ago. I like to enjoy the scenery, and the solitude, and the acceleration, and the sound, etc., etc. And I still get complimented almost every time I stop for gas (even with my v-geezer setup).
You California youngsters can chase the ladies and ride through the canyons on your short hops. Here on the plains, its cold in the mornings, and if you go less than 80, you are a traffic impediment, and stuff is a long way apart. I like the touring shield with the lowers 'cause its comfortable. You kids will be here someday as well. So lets not be calling it 'gay'. Geezerish, maybe (guilty as charged!).

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree that it is a personal choice.

The VROD its different to everyone and this is my lates thought about MY VROD: :2cents: This is a PM I sent to someone today regarding the purchase of the windvest windshield:

I have been out of town on business and have not had too much time on the bike. But on my second test ride, I found the windvest to be acceptable and/or above average for the VROD. Maybe I'm being too demanding. Meaning, this is not a Road King. I have also tested the Touring windshield and was not impressed. Too much wind comes from the bottom and "ballons" your shirt and wants to pop up/out your helmet. I hear you can purchase wind deflectors for the front forks to help this but too many gadgets on the bike for wind protection.

The modified super sport windshield perfoms as goods as the windvest. Except the windvest looks AWESOME and its craftsmanship is superior. The logic I use is the VROD is just like a custom street bike like the ones you see in American Chopper. You sit in it low and with a poor posture leaning forward. Once I ride it like a custom bike, the windvest works perfectly. As soon as you use good posture and ride it like a Road King you get some wind at the top of your head ( I'm 5'8"). Just like most of the feedback that I have seen, performance is good up to 60-65 MPH. Once you pass 70 MPH minor flaws in performace start to appear. But again, it is a VROD not a Road King.
So now, this week, I will decide if I want to:
1) Sell the windvest and use the $ for chrome.
2) Modify the SS windshield with new stems.
3) Keep the windvest.

Will take one more ride since the windvest looks awesome. Hope this helps.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Daniii said:
MJ, I'm betting you will notice the updraft with the touring shield. The Memphis shade Lowers cure it, but don't pop off like the shield does.
Sorry Danii, I just can't go the whole lowers route. It has to be quick release. It's taking a lot for me to even consider the touring windshield. I don't really care for the look but I want to enjoy the longer rides so I'll deal with it. It doesn't make the bike look ugly, just not the look that drew me to it originally.

I'm sure the updraft will be there but manageable. If I decide to tour the bike then I'll consider something, probably something I'll fabricate myself that's incorporated into the quick detach system.

For me it's not riding to be seen but riding something I enjoy to look at myself. The same reason I won't own certain cars that offend my sense of style.

Of course these are my opinions, Your Mileage May Vary, Offer void in Idaho...... ;)

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
MJ, I'm looking into what is involved in attaching the lowers to the windshield. They are at a slightly different angle from the bottom of the shield, which even to my 'geezed' eyes looks a little wierd. And the chrome on them isn't as good as everywhere else.
The problem was both excessive wind noise and it made my trifocals bounce (which is a bit distracting). The full face helmet is probably a cure, but I'm guessing that will be uncomfortable when it hits 105F here in texas. (Mine is white, but even that probably won't help when stopped in traffic).
The adventure continues.

I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have just been out for a quick ride with the sundowner seat and the buffeting with the sport screen is slightly better, probably because I'm sitting a bit lower.
It's now OK upto about 65mph, but still noisey. It is mounted in the high position but I still think it needs "tipping" upright a bit. If only I was a bit shorter. :laugh:

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
I don't have a windshield yet. It seems to me that most people that have one on their bike don't like it. I'm tall, and the only one that might work at all for me is the touring shield - but I just can't bring myself to bolt on a drive-in theater screen to the front of my masterpiece. Posture isn't much of an option - can't imagine crouching for more than 10 minutes without serious back fatigue. Maybe I'll hold out for the 18" Windvest.

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
Hotrod, standard Windvest no good for a 6 footer then?
Nope. I almost did the group buy in here a few weeks ago - the taller lads who did aren't very happy. I guess it's a great company (Windvest), and they're offering taller mounts to unsatisfied customers. I'd sooner wait for a larger shield before going that route though.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
My machinist told me today that he has sent out a few sets of those windshield extensions to VRF members.
I'd like to here your comments after you install them. :stilpoke:
I like mine but I'm always looking for something better. So far this is the best remedy I know of and now at $40 a set..they are not much more then a good meal out.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
0992 said:
My machinist told me today that he has sent out a few sets of those windshield extensions to VRF members.
I'd like to here your comments after you install them. :stilpoke:
I like mine but I'm always looking for something better. So far this is the best remedy I know of and now at $40 a set..they are not much more then a good meal out.
I am considering this too, but the brackets I have with my sport screen are different to the ones in your pictures. I have to do a bit more head scratching to work out if they will fit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts