Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here to the forum but not to the Harley family. My wife is trading in her Nightster and unpgrading to a Night Rod Special. :dance:We are very close to striking a deal on an 07' VRSCDX at Bruce Rossmeyers in Daytonna. I have two questions if I may. :notworth:

One, this bike (can be seen on thier website) has spoke wheels? It is the first and only one I've seen with spokes. Were these an option in 07?

Second, this bike also has mid controls. I don't believe these came on it either but were changed out? Anyone know what this would have cost? It looks complicated on this model. It actually works out great as she is only 5' even and can't reach forward controls on a Rod.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
The DX has never come stock with spoke wheels. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the front wheel is a stock AW wheel that has been powdercoated. The rear wheel is definitely aftermarket since no VRSC has ever had a spoke rear wheel from the factory. The mid-controls are not stock and are actually Rizoma's from Italy. They are nice mid-controls (I have them on my '02) and cost around $1100 new. I also noticed the head pipes are wrapped in thermal exhaust tape and that it has Supertrapp slip-ons. The price seems high to me since a brand new one is only $14,699: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/night-rod-special.html#/gallery

Here is a link to the bike you are looking at: http://www.brucerossmeyer.com/mw_mc...ight_Rod_Special_&searchprefs=1,26,0,0,0,,0,0

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bproulxvrod, Thanks, you picked up on alot just from a small picture. I don't understand the black tape around the headpipes though? Aren't they black from the factory? When we saw it in person I didn't notice tape. This bike also has an upgraded alarm system.

The dealer knocked 1K off the price, plus he is delivering it from Daytonna to Cape Coral FL by trailer at no extra charge. That's a 5 hour drive.

A new one would end up costing me close to $18,000 by the time you add in the dealer set up fee, document fee, regitration fee, taxes, plus adding mid controls which she must have. Actually the dealers we spoke with told us close to $2K to convert a new bike (V Rod or Night Rod) to mid controls.

The local dealers do not take much off any of the V Rods, even though demand is lower then other HD's supply is VERY low.

·
Dean
775 Posts
I actually like the look of the rear spoked wheel.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
I actually like the look of the rear spoked wheel.
Agree, it does look good and unique

As to the price, 11,995 might still be too high, the bike is 4 model years old … just sayin, take a look on here there are plenty of used bikes for sale for less. Some of the have more in them than what you are looking at.

Most importantly, did your wife sit on the bike? At 5 ft tall the only Vrod to consider would be a 2006 to 2008 "D" (VRSCD) model. The rizoma mid controls are further forward than the stock D model condoms. The 2008 D model is the most sought after D model, it was the only 1250 cc D and was available with abs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree, it does look good and unique

As to the price, 11,995 might still be too high, the bike is 4 model years old … just sayin, take a look on here there are plenty of used bikes for sale for less. Some of the have more in them than what you are looking at.

Most importantly, did your wife sit on the bike? At 5 ft tall the only Vrod to consider would be a 2006 to 2008 "D" (VRSCD) model. The rizoma mid controls are further forward than the stock D model condoms. The 2008 D model is the most sought after D model, it was the only 1250 cc D and was available with abs.
Yes, she has sat on the bike and many other V Rods and Night Rods. This was the only one that already had rear controls. She said (and even looks) she confortable on this one.

What is the difference between the "D" and the "DX" (VRSCDX)?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The bike looks good with the spoke wheel. I always wanted to trade out the front off my D for a spoke off the AW. She will love the mid controls. I just got an 07 DX, and have 2 mods already on order....reduce reach bars or D bars, and Reduce reach foot controls....and I paid 11,800, with 5k for millage, so Im thinking your price is right in line!

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
bproulxvrod, Thanks, you picked up on alot just from a small picture. I don't understand the black tape around the headpipes though? Aren't they black from the factory? When we saw it in person I didn't notice tape. This bike also has an upgraded alarm system.
The heat wrap is actually white/brown in color and is wrapped directly over the head pipes and then the black heatshields were put back on so it is tough to notice.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
man, you could buy my DX for almost 3k less than that, have it shipped down there, mid controls installed, and still have a bunch of $$ left over for other mods. see the link in my sig.

shameless plug, i know, but that dealer is shafting you

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
That bike looks excellent with spokes on it. I've been waiting for 3 years to see someone do that with a DX.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
$589 dealer fee on a used machine? Thats a fast one! Spokes are a nice touch. The Harley "mids" are a little more forward by about 2" inchs and look more "fitted" (less of an add on look) Price does seem a little high but if you are trading in maybe it works out better.

Might be an idea to check out scarecrows machine. The change to mids can be done with a part swap with someone on here. Biggest attraction is the long warranty, I would also be influenced by the stock pipes.

·
Dean
775 Posts
I imagine the front set up was fairly easy and cost effective to do but I'll bet someone put out a few sheckles for a 240mm V-Rod spoked rear.

Be nice to know who did the wheel work.

Looks good. Isn't Cheatin running spokes?
I would think that a spoked rear wheel would be cheaper then most other aftermarkets wheels out there...no?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think the DX has a larger fuel sell also. Scarecrow, I appreciate the offer but, by the time I ship it and then order the mid controls it's just not worth the hassle for me. Perhaps we have more money then patients. This bike is being delivered to our door, registered and ready to ride as soon as those brand new tires hit our driveway for $11,995 + tax. My wife is very impaient and wouldn't want to wait to go thru setting up delivery plus going to the tax office to change the plates and waiting for mid controls to be installed.

Honestly, I walked around this bike three times and it still took the salesman several minutes to convince me it was used. This bike is impecable, perfect and to me that's worth a few $$$ more.

We stopped at 6 dealers between SW Florida and Hilton Head last , this is the one she has fallen in love with. Besides two years ago she bought me (as a total surprise) a brand new 09 Softail custom for Christmas and HAD IT DELIVERED CHRISTMAS DAY. She deserves this and more!!! Her Birthday is the 15th. I hoping to finalize the paper work and have it delivered before then.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I think the DX has a larger fuel sell also. Scarecrow, I appreciate the offer but, by the time I ship it and then order the mid controls it's just not worth the hassle for me. Perhaps we have more money then patients. This bike is being delivered to our door, registered and ready to ride as soon as those brand new tires hit our driveway for $11,995 + tax. My wife is very impaient and wouldn't want to wait to go thru setting up delivery plus going to the tax office to change the plates and waiting for mid controls to be installed.

Honestly, I walked around this bike three times and it still took the salesman several minutes to convince me it was used. This bike is impecable, perfect and to me that's worth a few $$$ more.

We stopped at 6 dealers between SW Florida and Hilton Head, this is the one she has fallen in love with. Besides two years ago she bought me (as a total surprise) a brand new 09 Softail custom for Christmas and HAD IT DELIVERED CHRISTMAS DAY.
Bottom line.....if you like it, buy it.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
that spoked look changes what i thought about the DX bikes! shit that looks killer!

·
boo
5,211 Posts
one of these days when i have too much money, i'm going to do something like these on mine

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Looks good. Price is kinda high. That said, welcome! Sometimes, we are foolish with our money. At least, I am!!! Enjoy, and post up pictures of the happy wife! Joe

1 - 20 of 47 Posts