Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bikes been stored for several months while away working. replaced battery. turn signals flashed 5 times. started bike up. runs fine, but no odometer, speedometer, or tack. bad gauge cluster, or is there something with the battery fully discharged.

· Freedom
614 Posts
What happens if you turn the key to the accessory position? Do the gauges sweep or not? Check all your connections and grounds too.

· Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Check your battery connections make sure they're tight enough.

I don't know about the others but my connections are very sensitive and even if they're connected but a little loose I get a bunch of weird readings on my instrument panel. Erroneous engine lights coming on, strange codes, and then eventually no working cluster, and finally the bike doesn't fire up.

Last time this happened I checked and it was still connected just a tad bit loose.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oil light, high beam, and turn signals indicators still work. i filled the bike up today. the gas gauge is frozen at 1/4 tank.

i remember skirod talking about something related to the speedometer not working after the battery was drained for extended periods of time and reconnected. i searched, but couldn't find anything.

Does the oil or engine light come on like normal?

· Premium Member
11,392 Posts
Pull the connector off the back of the instrument panel.

Pin 1 (Red/Orange should be 12 volts all the time.
Pin 12 (Orange/White) should be 12 volts switched. Turn the ignition switch on for this.
Pin 5 (Black/Green on my 07, Black on my 03) should be ground.

Pin 2 (White) High Beam
Pin 3 (Violet) Left turn
Pin 4 (Brown) Right turn
Pin 6 (Grey) Ignition
Pin 7 (light green/Violet) Data Bus
Pin 8 (No wire) VSS Out
Pin 9 (green/Yellow) Oil Pressure
Pin 10 (Tan) Neutral
Pin 11 (Yellow/White) Fuel level

Pin 12 is fed from the Accessory fuse which gets its power from the Ignition switch. Your ignition switch may be corroded. It can be cleaned out.
Pin 1 is fed from the battery through the battery fuse via the ignition switch.

· Registered
74 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
bikes been stored for several months while away working. replaced battery. turn signals flashed 5 times. started bike up. runs fine, but no odometer, speedometer, or tack. bad gauge cluster, or is there something with the battery fully discharged.
Hello, just joined this forum. We have the same problem with our 2005 V Rod. Did you get yours figured out?

· Registered
3 Posts
I've also just read up on this. My 04 has just started this. At first, a weak fluttering odometer reading. Then, the needles of rev, speedo and fuel started doing silly things. Gave all earth's a clean, checked all plugs and worked for a short while, now nothing. I been back through everything again and done tests on the plug from behind the cluster. Data wire, pin 7, has a pulse of about 1 volt. Any suggestions or has anyone solved the mystery??

· Registered
2,405 Posts
I've also just read up on this. My 04 has just started this. At first, a weak fluttering odometer reading. Then, the needles of rev, speedo and fuel started doing silly things. Gave all earth's a clean, checked all plugs and worked for a short while, now nothing. I been back through everything again and done tests on the plug from behind the cluster. Data wire, pin 7, has a pulse of about 1 volt. Any suggestions or has anyone solved the mystery??
I have heard reports that changing the voltage regulator eliminates this. No personal experience of this though, only what I have read.

· Registered
6,455 Posts
I have heard reports that changing the voltage regulator eliminates this. No personal experience of this though, only what I have read.
Can't see it without other obvious stuff like low voltage or high voltage spikes, which codes usually show up. Then again if nobody checked for either condition and it was from the regulator, they go lucky in the fix. I don't fall into that category. I have to fight my way through, kicking and screaming to fix shit.:(
Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts