Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to buy an aftermarket handlebar mounted speedo and just do away with the stock gauges and stock bars? I don't care much for the tach or the fuel guage but I like to know how fast I'm going.

What kind of gauge would I need to buy (I'm only guessing there are different types)
just a few of examples of what I'm talkin about...



0957028e-7dc9-4f50-809a-e0c4d7cce977.jpg b4646dbb-5ce9-43d5-a97b-8354e6173caf.jpg
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
damnit, I can see it now... here comes a copycat
:D
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VenomousSVT said:
damnit, I can see it now... here comes a copycat
:D
I think your bike looks great!!! but instead of the one piece riser top I'd like to have two and a small speedo there....and of course I wouldn't get bars just like yours :D

VenomousSVT thread
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
:notworth: :moon: :D :kiss:

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VenomousSVT said:
:notworth: :moon: :D :kiss:

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
ok whats with the kissing smileys :wazzup:


enough bull :stac: anyone have an idea here to help me out???
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
lakedrunk said:
ok whats with the kissing smileys :wazzup:


enough bull :stac: anyone have an idea here to help me out???
uhh.....those are.... uhhh...... smilies of lux and kelley. just to remind you that we can all get along.

or something like that
 

·
The Hawk
Joined
·
3,895 Posts
V-Gauge, would look outstanding on that setup with the gauge mounted down behind the bars.

Mike
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elgavilan said:
V-Gauge, would look outstanding on that setup with the gauge mounted down behind the bars.

Mike
ok I should have noted before that I'm a broke sumamabish so I'm looking for a inexpensive option :D
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
lakedrunk said:
ok I should have noted before that I'm a broke sumamabish so I'm looking for a inexpensive option :D
same reason i ended up making my bars.. spent about $35 on them total
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump for the evening crew

anyone know the answer to my question :confused:
and it's gotta be a cheap answer :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Get you a Autometer 10" tach, those are the bomb, especially in 4 cylinder Honda Accords with coffee can mufflers and a rear spoiler a foot above the roof.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
hd-v-rodder said:
Get you a Autometer 10" tach, those are the bomb, especially in 4 cylinder Honda Accords with coffee can mufflers and a rear spoiler a foot above the roof.
i think you mean the 5" monster tachs... 10" would be HUGE!!!!:angeldev:
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want anything for a car, they make small handlebar mounted speedo's for motorcycles, I just don't know if they will work on the Vrod....and I'm guessing nobody else does either :confused:
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
lakedrunk said:
I don't want anything for a car, they make small handlebar mounted speedo's for motorcycles, I just don't know if they will work on the Vrod....and I'm guessing nobody else does either :confused:
autometer does make a smal tach with a white face.. it would look pretty badass actually.. let me find a pic
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
see that i do not know... i have never installed one of theautometer speedos in either a car or a bike.. i dont know exaclty what they need to work. I assume they have a box that connects to the VSS wire and you can calibrate it via that box. Like the vgauge does
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
lakedrunk said:
I just wonder if any speedometer will hook up to whatever cables/wires that connect to the stock speedo
The stock speedo (and tach) are stepping motors that get their position information from the serial data line. The V-Gauge also reads the serial data line. If you use aftermarket gauges they need to be fed a signal they understand. Most after market speedometers can be fed by the VSS but don't disconnect the line going from this to the ECM. The VSS reads the teeth on the fifth gear so the speedometer needs to be able to compensate for various drive pulley and tire size combinations. The ECM provides a tach signal on pin #3 that will work with most aftermarket tachs.
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stever975 said:
The stock speedo (and tach) are stepping motors that get their position information from the serial data line. The V-Gauge also reads the serial data line. If you use aftermarket gauges they need to be fed a signal they understand. Most after market speedometers can be fed by the VSS but don't disconnect the line going from this to the ECM. The VSS reads the teeth on the fifth gear so the speedometer needs to be able to compensate for various drive pulley and tire size combinations. The ECM provides a tach signal on pin #3 that will work with most aftermarket tachs.
so does that mean I would have a hard time finding a aftermarket speedo that would work properly, or would I have to buy the speedo and something else to help the speedo disconnect the line to the ECM???

and I don't even need the tach so that won't be a problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
lakedrunk said:
so does that mean I would have a hard time finding a aftermarket speedo that would work properly, or would I have to buy the speedo and something else to help the speedo disconnect the line to the ECM??? ...
I'm not sure on the details of hooking up the aftermarket speedo to the VSS. You'll need to get someone here that's done it to post or talk to the speedo manufacturer. The speedo needs to be able to read the VSS signal without reducing the voltage pulses (it needs to be high impedance like a digital volt meter) so that the ECM can still get a proper signal. The sensor connector is a three wire connector under the frame near the fuse box. This is where you would tap into the VSS signal using the white and black wires (pins B and C). The white wire has the voltage pulses, the black wire is signal ground, and the red wire is 12 VDC power to the VSS.

The speedo also needs to have some calibration "feature" so that it can interpret the voltage pulses correctly.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top