Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was...riding back from the Key West Poker run cruising down I-75 at 90 mph. I was leading and a buddy on a Dyna Low Rider was my wingman. We had the wives in the chase car behind us.

When several cars began to pass us on the right I started thinking something wasn't quite right. After about an hour of this we stopped for a quick stretch. My wife says, "Why were you going so slow?"

I laugh and say, "Slow? Yeah right." Apparently, and my buddy on the Dyna confirmed this, I never got over 75 or 80. WTF?

So, the bike's in the shop to find out what the problem is. I had the SERT installed several months ago and dyno tuned.

Anybody have this problem?

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
I have not had this problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a gps on mine, it's almost dead on. The neat thing, when I take off quick, the gps takes a little time to catch up!!!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
They did not select 28 tooth pulley and your bike has been using the data from a 30 tooth since the sert was installed. When asked if you installed the 28 tooth you must answer yes or it reads for a 30 tooth. With a sert on mine and a 30 tooth my speedo even up to well above 120 is still within 1mph of what my gps reads.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Max said:
They did not select 28 tooth pulley and your bike has been using the data from a 30 tooth since the sert was installed. When asked if you installed the 28 tooth you must answer yes or it reads for a 30 tooth. With a sert on mine and a 30 tooth my speedo even up to well above 120 is still within 1mph of what my gps reads.
Max, Will that affect the mileage recorded as well?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Max said:
Thanks Max. I just talked to the dealer and they ordered a new instrument cluster. I wonder if they thought about the SERT situation you just mentioned. I'll give them a call.

Thanks again.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
After you click on the button to send the map a dialog box will ask if you have the SE upgrade to a 28-tooth pulley. You have to click yes. It's a holdover from the older V-Rods. The newer US V-Rods (04 and later?) all have 28-tooth pulleys as stock.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big_Red said:
After you click on the button to send the map a dialog box will ask if you have the SE upgrade to a 30-tooth pulley. You have to click yes. It's a holdover from the older V-Rods. The newer US V-Rods (04 and later?) all have 30-tooth pulleys as stock.
I thought the European models had the 30T and the newer US models have the 28T. ??

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
davetpilot said:
I thought the European models had the 30T and the newer US models have the 28T. ??
Crap, I'm a moron. You are correct. I'm gonna edit my post so I don't confuse anyone else :banghead: sorry. bad day...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, much better and makes total sense.

I hope the guys down at the dealership take my advice and try to re-flash my ecm. They have my map on file so it would only take a few minutes.

I wish I had this info before I brought it in. I would have re-flashed it myself. I have the map file as well. I needed to get it in for warped rotors and an oil change so I just had them look at it. Oh well...warranty work. :D

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
What's all this talk about instrument clusters, the original post was about a "speedo" problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the mechanic says that the speed sensor takes its info from the final drive so the number of teeth won't matter. They ordered the instrument cluster. It's a special order item so no telling how long it will take. I picked the bike up and told them to call me.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Trust me on this....

Believe Max... not your mechanic!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured what I would do, now that I have the bike back in my garage, is re-flash the ecm with the same map that is loaded now. I'll select 28 tooth when asked and take it out for a run with a buddy riding beside me.

I'll post my results.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Max is the man!

Not that there was any doubt but once again Max has shown that his knowledge base is extremely valuable.

I re-programmed the ecm. When the window popped up and asked if I had installed the Sreamin Eagle 28-tooth sprocket I selected YES and took her out for a ride. Using the 2-way radio (Motorola Talkabout) patched through my portable intercom I was able to talk to my wife who was driving our truck.

I tested the speeds in 5 mph intervals all the way to 85 mph. It is dead on accurate up to about 80 then there is about a 1 to 2 mph difference. With human error factor and the fact that there is probably a 5% speedo error anyway, I'd say that was pretty damn good.

Now I have to call HD and tell them to cancel that order for the new instrument cluster. My mechanic is a good guy and has done some good work on my bike including writing my SERT map. I thought I'd call him directly to let him know. What do you think?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
davetpilot said:
Not that there was any doubt but once again Max has shown that his knowledge base is extremely valuable.

I re-programmed the ecm. When the window popped up and asked if I had installed the Sreamin Eagle 28-tooth sprocket I selected YES and took her out for a ride. Using the 2-way radio (Walkabout) patched through my portable intercom I was able to talk to my wife who was driving our truck.

I tested the speeds in 5 mph intervals all the way to 85 mph. It is dead on accurate up to about 80 then there is about a 1 to 2 mph difference. With human error factor and the fact that there is probably a 5% speedo error anyway, I'd say that was pretty damn good.

Now I have to call HD and tell them to cancel that order for the new instrument cluster. My mechanic is a good guy and has done some good work on my bike including writing my SERT map. I thought I'd call him directly to let him know. What do you think?
It might be better to call direct if he is involved in the order of the cluster. Some times second hand news doesn't find the source in the shop. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just did the blue light mod on my gauges and see that my speedo isn't correct. Since all you do is push the needle back on the post, how do you get it exactly correct so your speedo is calibrated? It's a smooth shaft and there is no way to set it just right.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So if I changed my euro bike (stock 30t) to 28t it will be wrong unles the dealer (who did the swap) re-flashed the ECU at the same time?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts