Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05b that is 1 year old and has 10500 miles on it.
I was comming home last night on a 80mile ride, and I glanced down and looked at my speedo and it was registering 0mph. I turned the bike on and off (with the kill switch) while still moving and then it jumped up to 110mph and stayed there no mater how fast I was going. my Tach and fuel gadge along with the trip/remaining fuel where working fine still. I pulled over at the next exit and got off the bike and turned it off and pulled the key out. the speedo went from 110 - 60 mph. I then put the key back in and switched the bike in too the Acc setting and it jumped up too 150 and down to 50 did it again and 150 - 40 and I repeted it untill it went to 0 and then I drove off again and it all apeared to be working. I have a scheduled service in about 1 week for my 10k should I be conserned about that and what should I tell them or myself to look for to keep that from happening.

I dont have any modified pipes or fuel managment systems. the bike is basicly stock. except for cosmetic goodies.
thanks for any help

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
sorry I have no answer for you, but you should have a passenger holding a camera and if it stays on 150 have them snap a picture :laugh:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I will bring the camera my g/f and I are headed out on a ride tonight.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The odometer and speedo get the same signal, if the odometer was working correct but the speedo was not it sounds as though you have a failing speedo motor. It is part of the cluster only I'm afraid.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Justboo said:
...and I glanced down and looked at my speedo and it was registering 0mph. I turned the bike on and off (with the kill switch) while still moving and then it jumped up to 110mph and stayed there no mater how fast I was going. my Tach and fuel gadge along with the trip/remaining fuel where working fine still.
i guess the best thing you could do is at least tell your dealer about it (i guess your bike's still under warranty ?) so it gets duly noted
i've had nearly the same thing going on meaning my speedo dropped to zero whilst cruising at 65 mph on the highway (sunny, no rain), did that six times or so but came back on (very slowly) to actual speed each time, everything else kept working fine, only had this happening during 1 ride and it never happened again
the unlucky thing is that this didn't generate any error codes so dealer has no clue what could have happened since he can't trace it from there
dealer offered to perform a complete diagnosis + replacement of all suspect parts (including instrument cluster) under warranty after riding season (my choice) ... hence the importance of having this thing 'on record' when you bring yours in
good luck !
edit : didn't see Max's post... guess this means I'll definitely have a new cluster after riding season ... thx Max ! :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks max, I deffinatly let them know. man seems crazy that the sucker would die that early in life but hey thats why I got a warrenty :deal:

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
could'nt it be that the needle leans against the glass? (bend or somthing due sun).
I know when i did put the cluster back together after my color change that the needles where near flush whith the rubbergasket where the glass is on.

when you switch the ignition to acc. ,the needles do a full readout test,maybe you can tap on the glass during this:bash: for error seak.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
ANNIEZZ said:
could'nt it be that the needle leans against the glass? (bend or somthing due sun).
i don't think so, well not in my case anyway, the needle just went from actual speed indication to zero each of those 5-6 times and came back on after some time (sometimes after a few seconds, other times it took longer), have done some 5.000 kms since and never had it happen again so like Max said must (have) be(en) a flippin' speedo motor

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
If in theory the instrument cluster would be electronically fine,it could also have been a faulty speedowire connection somwhere.
When you feed no signal to this servomotor (due broken circuitry board or a lose solderconnection) it would stay at the last point and not go to zero as if it would cum to a (no signal) sudden stop .but glad it's holding,these parts (as all others )are $$$$ in europe...(about 3 times US)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts