Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone encountered a speedo error? My wife’s bike (Honda) shows 45 mph and I show 40 mph. Trying to hook up with local PD to verify with radar.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Or, just borrow someone's portable GPS (LOTS of folks have them these days) and have it save your maximum MPH. Then you can check the GPS, Honda and V-Rod. I've seen several Honda's that are high (never low) on the speedo.

You can also (with a stopwatch) check your speed easily using mile markers. At 60 MPH it will take EXACTLY 1 minute to travel a mile. If it takes LESS than a minute, you are going OVER 60. If it takes MORE than a minute, you're going under 60. Simple algebra will tell you how far off you are.

(For the V-rod, at 120 MPH it will take exactly 30 seconds to cover that same mile... but you get the point.)

·
Feels like flying
195 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Maybe the Honda has the error?!?! :hidesbeh:
Yeah, they run slow :angeldev:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found the same problem with my previous BMW GS. It was about 5% high.
Apparently it is illegal for a manufacturer to sell a new bike with a speedo that reads below actual speed. My Suzuki reads high too. Magazine bike tests used to include speedo error in the specs, but I havent seen one lately.
Harley speedo's are mostly accurate according to my sources and my testing.
Some HD speedo's say 'certified accurate' or something like that on the face.
The Vrod is right on the money. :blahblah:
Z

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mine was exactly on the mark when I went through a check point with the mobile unit the other day.

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
dfhand said:
Has anyone encountered a speedo error? My wife’s bike (Honda) shows 45 mph and I show 40 mph. Trying to hook up with local PD to verify with radar.
Why do you assume it's YOUR bike with the error and not the Honda? The Japanese stuff isn't perfect, you know.

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
ion-man said:
Or, just borrow someone's portable GPS (LOTS of folks have them these days) and have it save your maximum MPH. Then you can check the GPS, Honda and V-Rod. I've seen several Honda's that are high (never low) on the speedo.

You can also (with a stopwatch) check your speed easily using mile markers. At 60 MPH it will take EXACTLY 1 minute to travel a mile. If it takes LESS than a minute, you are going OVER 60. If it takes MORE than a minute, you're going under 60. Simple algebra will tell you how far off you are.

(For the V-rod, at 120 MPH it will take exactly 30 seconds to cover that same mile... but you get the point.)
Assuming the mile markers are EXACTLY one mile apart.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Anywhere between 5 and 10% lower seems to be the norm these days...

Helps avoid the speed camera and radars

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
About 5 % under seems the norm these days

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I never tested my bike with the stock tire and wheel but took my handheld gps for a ride with the 240 and wider wheel and mine is pretty much dead on. GPS said 99 when the v-gauge said 100 so thats close enough for me. At 55 it was exactly right all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts