Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedo / cluster swap - odometer won’t register new miles

Ok, I’m at my wits end, but learning more every day. 2006 street rod with 19,000kms (metric). I hooked up my battery charger on the “boost” and fried the cluster. Spent hours on here, and online researching it, lost odometer, Speedo, tach and Wow functions. All fuses were fine. Bought a mph cluster on eBay with unknown miles. Plug it in, everything works except the odometer reads 00000 and won’t climb when riding. The bike is new to me, and needs the odometer to working for a safety inpection. I wouldn’t care if it read 100k as long as it counted miles. I thought the dealer could set it, but they only can program new ones. I know Dutch rod can do it, but I can’t wait a month, I want to ride this sucker. Any tips? I’m local to Detroit,Mi or Windsor, Ontario. I read about lots of guys swapping and getting the mileage of the old bike. I want to eventually get one properly in kms, maybe through durchrod but I need a bandaid!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Ok, I’m at my wits end, but learning more every day. 2006 street rod with 19,000kms (metric). I hooked up my battery charger on the “boost” and fried the cluster. Spent hours on here, and online researching it, lost odometer, Speedo, tach and Wow functions. All fuses were fine. Bought a mph cluster on eBay with unknown miles. Plug it in, everything works except the odometer reads 00000 and won’t climb when riding. The bike is new to me, and needs the odometer to working for a safety inpection. I wouldn’t care if it read 100k as long as it counted miles. I thought the dealer could set it, but they only can program new ones. I know Dutch rod can do it, but I can’t wait a month, I want to ride this sucker. Any tips? I’m local to Detroit,Mi or Windsor, Ontario. I read about lots of guys swapping and getting the mileage of the old bike. I want to eventually get one properly in kms, maybe through durchrod but I need a bandaid!
If the odometer (mileage display) doesn't change and the speedometer shows movement when the rear wheel is turning, there's an internal problem with the IM. Also, are you sure about the number of zeros? (There should be six digits in the odometer display.) And a used IM with all zeros displayed in the odometer is either damaged or altered.

Do you have any DTCs? (This post explains how to read and clear DTCs.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I had a guy helping me out that is more familiar with these bikes, he said all codes are cleared, none current. There are 6 zeros across the display.

Are you saying it should display the milage off of the old bike and function on my current bike (count miles)?

Dwaine

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Are you saying it should display the milage off of the old bike and function on my current bike (count miles)? ...
Yes.

The mileage is stored permanently in the IM so if this came off another bike it should be displaying previous mileage.

When the ignition switch is turned to IGN the following should occur:
The CEL (check engine light) and "key icon" (security light) should illuminate for ≈ 4 seconds and then turn off.

After these lights turn off one of three things should be seen:
  1. Both lamps remain off = no current or historic DTCs
  2. One (or both) lamps turn back on and then go off after 8 seconds = historic DTC is stored in ECM (if CEL turned on) or TSM/TSSM (if key icon turned on)
  3. One (or both) lamps turn back on and stay on = current DTC is stored in ECM (if CEL is on) or TSM/TSSM (if key icon is on)

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Isn't there something about newer bikes keeping the Odometer reading in the ECM?
Putting one of those Im on a older bike might be the problem.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Isn't there something about newer bikes keeping the Odometer reading in the ECM?
Putting one of those Im on a older bike might be the problem.

Just a thought.
No, all VRSC IMs store the odometer info internally in non volatile memory.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took both clusters to a speedo shop ( Canada Speedometer in Ingersoll, Ontario) and they removed the memory chip from my original fried cluster and put it into the new speedo. When they applied power it did tge wow sweep and registered my mileage in kilometres. Then they put my metric gauge face on that cluster. Now everything is perfect and functions. Cost $100.

I wonder if more people that swap clusters should just change the chip over and keep their original mileage

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Thanks Steve. Must be the new touring bikes I am thinking about. At least one of the forums I monitor was grumbling about that change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts