Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this problem? Once I get my DX up to 110 mph it begins to shimmy. I don't go there often but when I do it keeps me from going any faster. What can I do to stop this from happening? Please, don't tell me not to go that fast. lol Ed

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I had an issue like that and found that the steering bearings were too loose. Others have said a fork brace and some say its the torque in the triple tree clams.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ed as Chuck says I would check the fall away and steering shaft bearings. That is not normal at all.

·
REGUL8
891 Posts
I agree

Max said:
Ed as Chuck says I would check the fall away and steering shaft bearings. That is not normal at all.
Same happens to me it was the steering shaft bearings.

John

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
harleymon55 said:
Anyone have this problem? Once I get my DX up to 110 mph it begins to shimmy. I don't go there often but when I do it keeps me from going any faster. What can I do to stop this from happening? Please, don't tell me not to go that fast. lol Ed

if there is any cross-winds at all it can feel like a shimmy at those speeds - have had the speedo pegged many times and it's always different depending on the weather - from a very minor wobble to needing to shut down. The clam shell position is also not the best for very high speeds and can add some instability.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Mine had that wobble at 70-90 mph. It was from the pinch bolts in the triple clamps on the front fork not being torqued evenly side to side. Torqued everything down and she rides straight and wobble free.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
traktime said:
The clam shell position is also not the best for very high speeds and can add some instability.
What I have found with the clam shell in the faster speeds, and especially if there is heavy crosswind, I need to tuck in and that makes me much more stable.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
I have found that when the fall away Is at or near the lower limit, 51mm, it wobbles at high speed ( 100-130 mph ) or when passing semi trailers. When it is nearer the outer limit, 102mm, the wobble is rarely noticeable at speed or passing trucks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank everyone/another Q?

At the time of my speeding flight there wasn't any cross wind. I have to ask; what is fall way? Also, is this a warrenty issue? When I go to the dealer this Wednesday for my SERT and K&N filter to be instaled and dynoed I'll ask them to check the steering due to my experience. One other thing, I put 400 miles on the bike since removing the baffles (v-mod). The dealer told me last week that driving it this way as long as I didn't do anything else, everything will be alright till I get my SERT & filter instaled this Wednesday. Was he right or wrong?

·
FireBum
485 Posts
harleymon55 said:
At the time of my speeding flight there wasn't any cross wind. I have to ask; what is fall way? Also, is this a warrenty issue? When I go to the dealer this Wednesday for my SERT and K&N filter to be instaled and dynoed I'll ask them to check the steering due to my experience. One other thing, I put 400 miles on the bike since removing the baffles (v-mod). The dealer told me last week that driving it this way as long as I didn't do anything else, everything will be alright till I get my SERT & filter instaled this Wednesday. Was he right or wrong?
The fall away is the measurement used to determine the "tightness" or "looseness" of the fork stem nut. The fall away is part of the suggested 1000 mile check up. I don't know where you are on mileage. If you are experiencing the dreaded "fork clunk" the dealer will fix that under warrantee and the fall away will be set during that process. It is very easy to do it yourself takes 20-30 min. The service manual spells it out pretty clearly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts