Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked as much as I could for info on this exhaust.

I am either going with speed demon or Fitzgerald exhaust.

I would like a lil more info on speed demon. I have read that the system sits very close to the frame and clutch cover. Has anyone found a way to get it away from the frame?

Also does anyone have Dyno numbers? I have numbers from Fitz pipes but not speed demon.

Thank you for any info

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have looked as much as I could for info on this exhaust.

I am either going with speed demon or Fitzgerald exhaust.

I would like a lil more info on speed demon. I have read that the system sits very close to the frame and clutch cover. Has anyone found a way to get it away from the frame?

Also does anyone have Dyno numbers? I have numbers from Fitz pipes but not speed demon.

Thank you for any info
I have the Speed Demon exhaust on my F in the polished version including his optional collector baffle (a must in my opinion for a small reduction in sound, but more importantly necessary back pressure to tune AFR accurately on these bikes).

Thoughts:

It's 304 stainless, not mild steel with crap coating that Fitzgerald uses.

It's actually mandrel bent pipe, not backyard welded "stepped" piping (and don't believe the hype about "stepped" piping....it's myth for 99.999% of actual applications).

Collector springs are on the back side of the collector (not visible hex fittings on the outside that rust).

O2 bungs are on the backside/bottom. Besides cosmetics this is great for not burning your leg on a straight up positioned rear O2 sensor....

Comes with heat shields AND welded on. Fitz does not (and you will burn your boot on the rear pipe as it comes down around the clutch cover if you aren't careful.....I have a pair of very expensive White's boots that I burned on the way home from the shop.....pissed I was).

Welds: No contest, Speed Demon. The welds on the Fitz pipes are terrible (and that's coming from someone that is a hobby MIG welder at best...). The Speed Demon's look professionally TIG welded and gas back purged based on the lack of crystalization I can see inside the pipes.

FYI....I used to have a set of the "cut throat" pipes. As you can tell, I don't miss them.

Dyno? With little to no reservation I can say they will be equivalent. They both are huge in pipe diameter and once again the stepped pipe "advantage" is unsubstantiated BS. In terms of power increases and the Revo engine, 2-1 design is the key (and no going open pipe, at a minimum have some sort of baffle). After that it's either stroking or big bore or forced induction. No sense in chasing 3-4 horsepower differences at the cost of hundreds of dollars in pipes.

Negative: YES, indeed the collector on the Speed Demons touches the clutch cover and the bottom frame rail (the springs do). The fix is a rubber isolator (tons of choices from Grainger...McMaster...etc) and $5.00 in some stainless scrap bar/drill a few holes/etc. I'll post pics of my bracket when I get caught up. It's annoying to have to add this, but it's not surprising based on the very low pricing of the Speed Demon pipes (he must have a huge hook up on stainless as I couldn't produce these pipes stateside with this quality for what he sells them for...which is why I bought them as well (and I have access to a full machine shop and master fabricator that does custom TIG welding).

Beyond that...stainless requires some polishing if you don't like the golden color it changes to under heat...I like it. I also like heat shields and pipes that are tucked in as well (still salty about my boots when I ride....).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Speed Demon exhaust on my F in the polished version including his optional collector baffle (a must in my opinion for a small reduction in sound, but more importantly necessary back pressure to tune AFR accurately on these bikes).

Thoughts:

It's 304 stainless, not mild steel with crap coating that Fitzgerald uses.

It's actually mandrel bent pipe, not backyard welded "stepped" piping (and don't believe the hype about "stepped" piping....it's myth for 99.999% of actual applications).

Collector springs are on the back side of the collector (not visible hex fittings on the outside that rust).

O2 bungs are on the backside/bottom. Besides cosmetics this is great for not burning your leg on a straight up positioned rear O2 sensor....

Comes with heat shields AND welded on. Fitz does not (and you will burn your boot on the rear pipe as it comes down around the clutch cover if you aren't careful.....I have a pair of very expensive White's boots that I burned on the way home from the shop.....pissed I was).

Welds: No contest, Speed Demon. The welds on the Fitz pipes are terrible (and that's coming from someone that is a hobby MIG welder at best...). The Speed Demon's look professionally TIG welded and gas back purged based on the lack of crystalization I can see inside the pipes.

FYI....I used to have a set of the "cut throat" pipes. As you can tell, I don't miss them.

Dyno? With little to no reservation I can say they will be equivalent. They both are huge in pipe diameter and once again the stepped pipe "advantage" is unsubstantiated BS. In terms of power increases and the Revo engine, 2-1 design is the key (and no going open pipe, at a minimum have some sort of baffle). After that it's either stroking or big bore or forced induction. No sense in chasing 3-4 horsepower differences at the cost of hundreds of dollars in pipes.

Negative: YES, indeed the collector on the Speed Demons touches the clutch cover and the bottom frame rail (the springs do). The fix is a rubber isolator (tons of choices from Grainger...McMaster...etc) and $5.00 in some stainless scrap bar/drill a few holes/etc. I'll post pics of my bracket when I get caught up. It's annoying to have to add this, but it's not surprising based on the very low pricing of the Speed Demon pipes (he must have a huge hook up on stainless as I couldn't produce these pipes stateside with this quality for what he sells them for...which is why I bought them as well (and I have access to a full machine shop and master fabricator that does custom TIG welding).

Beyond that...stainless requires some polishing if you don't like the golden color it changes to under heat...I like it. I also like heat shields and pipes that are tucked in as well (still salty about my boots when I ride....).
I would love to see the bracket. That is the only real thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the rubbing

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am currently going back and forth between Fitz cut throat and the Speed Deamon. Can't make up my mind. I see a lot of good reviews on both pipes. I wonder what the best tune system is for an open exhaust like this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the guys that made speed demon would get back with me. I might purchase them sooner but they won't return my messages. I talk to them before and I know they both have maps for the tuners that are out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the guys that made speed demon would get back with me. I might purchase them sooner but they won't return my messages. I talk to them before and I know they both have maps for the tuners that are out there.
yea I hear ya. The clearance issue on the speed deamon is really my only concern.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yea I hear ya. The clearance issue on the speed deamon is really my only concern.
Same here that's why I was asking the creators of speed demon if they had the solution to it. But they are silent and I'm taking that silence as a no lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guess I’m going with the Fitz lol 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm going to wait it out for a bit. I just bought some legend suspension and I'm looking at a bitchin seat now Soo I'ma hold off for a bit longer. But I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the same shoes. The cut throat or the demons

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to wait it out for a bit. I just bought some legend suspension and I'm looking at a bitchin seat now Soo I'ma hold off for a bit longer. But I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the same shoes. The cut throat or the demons
I will say the welds, stainless steel, and heat shields on the deamon makes this a very hard decision lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would say to email them or talk to them. They might be able to help you out some. Fitz had no issues with fitments but the more I hear the more I'm skeptical about Fitz. But I don't hear a lot about demon?! That's my issue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts