Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine recently bought an '08-DX , with stock exhaust , but has a PC-3 installed . He says the exhaust has to go , was originally interested in the Vance & Hines Competition , then really liked the Toxic . Now he has his eye on the Speed Demon exhaust . I haven't read anything about them here on the forum . I was wondering if anyone on here is running them , and how do you like them ? Are they 'OK' quality , I know the price is low , so I'm expecting a medium quality ? Is the company reliable , do you get what you order in a timely manner ?
Thanks in advance , for your replies .
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Is noise really power ? Maybe, but not for everyday use.

Here's my humble opinion - engines should make power, not noise - just for the sake of noise - because noise is actually not power, can be sometimes at high Rpm but generally you can make more usable lower Rpm street power without excessive noise. That German pipe looks great, for a 1/4 mile drag racer. It's nice they offer a baffle for $ 50 but my right ear is already blown out from years of racing with a right exit exhaust, so it falls silent on this (pun intended). To me, unless it's a dedicated 1/4 mile race only bike, no one needs an open race pipe. Just pisses people off, blows out ears and builds power where 90% of street riders never use it. Build torque (and Hp) with a longer baffled pipe that's quieter for everyday riding. I did it with a Bub 7 2-1 with a 4" aftermarket BMW automotive resonator tip ! grafted on the back - straight thru performance, exits just in front of the shock, sounds great when on it, quiet when cruising. Win - Win. If I was riding only 10 seconds at a time, for a quarter mile, I'd do a race pipe - only then would the tradeoff of high Rpm power vs noise be worth it. I've encouraged V&H to build one but they have moved on, Bub 7 is no longer available but Toxic Pipes has offered me their assistance to extend their pipes with a longer baffle so that might be the best and newest solution. I would call them and commission a new pipe. He will build it. Bassani has been building some killer SS 2-1 pipes for newer Harleys - I'd call him too see if they want a new V Rod project, they might be bored, build you one but the out of production bike kinda kills it for the big production pipe co's. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
Here's my humble opinion - engines should make power, not noise - just for the sake of noise - because noise is actually not power, can be sometimes at high Rpm but generally you can make more usable lower Rpm street power without excessive noise. That German pipe looks great, for a 1/4 mile drag racer. It's nice they offer a baffle for $ 50 but my right ear is already blown out from years of racing with a right exit exhaust, so it falls silent on this (pun intended). To me, unless it's a dedicated 1/4 mile race only bike, no one needs an open race pipe. Just pisses people off, blows out ears and builds power where 90% of street riders never use it. Build torque (and Hp) with a longer baffled pipe that's quieter for everyday riding. I did it with a Bub 7 2-1 with a 4" aftermarket BMW automotive resonator tip ! grafted on the back - straight thru performance, exits just in front of the shock, sounds great when on it, quiet when cruising. Win - Win. If I was riding only 10 seconds at a time, for a quarter mile, I'd do a race pipe - only then would the tradeoff of high Rpm power vs noise be worth it. I've encouraged V&H to build one but they have moved on, Bub 7 is no longer available but Toxic Pipes has offered me their assistance to extend their pipes with a longer baffle so that might be the best and newest solution. I would call them and commission a new pipe. He will build it. Bassani has been building some killer SS 2-1 pipes for newer Harleys - I'd call him too see if they want a new V Rod project, they might be bored, build you one but the out of production bike kinda kills it for the big production pipe co's. :blahblah: :D
:them:

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww c'mon guys , there HAS to be some of you out there that knows about this exhaust , either has it , or knows someone that does . Is it decent quality , is the seller reputable ? Thanks in advance for your reply .

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
If you haven't already Mike check out the You Tube videos - they look to be excellent quality ( typical German attention to detail ) and really open up the exhaust - I'm talking OPEN & LOUD ! One guy cleans the street curb with it, pretty entertaining. I think it's 2" diameter and probably too open for a street bike though - Fitzgeralds pipe has a cone welded in for some back pressure and sound suppression so maybe the speed demon with the quiet baffle would do the trick - you could maybe contact Carsten at Holy Moto - e mail him he's very responsive and I'm sure knows more about their pipe since he's over there. Good Luck ! ( if they fit a mid peg bike I would probably buy one and install a longer reverse cone megaphone w/S.S. packing from Cone Engineering - that to me would be close to the ideal V Rod pipe.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought one and have over six thousand miles on it and it’s almost two years old. The shipment took a couple weeks from Germany to Ohio. The quality seems very good. It was easy to install and came with new gaskets. It is very loud. It was available with silencers but I don’t have them. The pipes have some bluing by the exhaust but that is probably the tune and not the pipes fault.
The sound is better than anything I’ve heard for the Vrod. It sounds great all the time and it was money well spent. In my opinion it’s very similar to the Fitzgerald exhaust sound and looks but half the price.
I spent a long time on YouTube listening with good headphones for different exhausts. I’m glad I picked these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought an '08-DX , with stock exhaust , but has a PC-3 installed . He says the exhaust has to go , was originally interested in the Vance & Hines Competition , then really liked the Toxic . Now he has his eye on the Speed Demon exhaust . I haven't read anything about them here on the forum . I was wondering if anyone on here is running them , and how do you like them ? Are they 'OK' quality , I know the price is low , so I'm expecting a medium quality ? Is the company reliable , do you get what you order in a timely manner ?
Thanks in advance , for your replies .
Mike
Yes i run the Speed Demon exhaust on my 04 but you must run with with a good tuner.Im running the thundermax .It is awsome.the powerband is unbelivible.The quality of these headers i would say 9/10 for the price.They are very loud.I have to push the bike in the street because when i start it all the cars next to me there alarms go off.ha ha.great product. To me the vance & hines dont compare.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes i run the Speed Demon exhaust on my 04 but you must run with with a good tuner.Im running the thundermax .It is awsome.the powerband is unbelivible.The quality of these headers i would say 9/10 for the price.They are very loud.I have to push the bike in the street because when i start it all the cars next to me there alarms go off.ha ha.great product. To me the vance & hines dont compare.
How are you doing with the clutch cover and the rear pipe from that? Myself and another member were just discussing how it is a tad too close (touches barely) the clutch cover and the bottom spring touches the frame. I'm make a small brace to keep it off those parts, but I'm curious if maybe it's due to the Muscle/F cover having a bit more protrusion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How are you doing with the clutch cover and the rear pipe from that? Myself and another member were just discussing how it is a tad too close (touches barely) the clutch cover and the bottom spring touches the frame. I'm make a small brace to keep it off those parts, but I'm curious if maybe it's due to the Muscle/F cover having a bit more protrusion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pulled it as far away from the clutch cover then tightened the nuts on the flange. Plus i put 2 inch strip of heat reistant tape on the cover . Have had no problems yet. stays in place . no exaust leaks at flanges either.I am also running o2 sensors it clears it by 1/4 inch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.