Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a small problem here and there and hits 90 mph usually let of gas for second hit it again then goes 142 easy. What’s causing this ? It don’t always happen and I can figure out way it does this but I’ve noticed this lately thinking ? it was usual cause but asked few ppl here they have no idea ? any help please

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I’ve had a small problem here and there and hits 90 mph usually let of gas for second hit it again then goes 142 easy. What’s causing this ? It don’t always happen and I can figure out way it does this but I’ve noticed this lately thinking ? it was usual cause but asked few ppl here they have no idea ? any help please
Sounds like you need a new clutch.

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Yep, sounds like a worn clutch...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Not sure I follow. Gets to 90 mph, hangs there and to get past that you need to back off the throttle a bit and next time to full throttle it goes? Three obvious possibles here, so a more clear discription helps. Sounds like maybe fuel delivery, maybe blocked filter. Speed is measured from a gear in the trans. Tach is a better indicator of clutch slip. Speedo reading will not increase much but the rpm will shoot up. If this, then yes , the clutch is slipping. One other rare on is if the engine is not up to temp, it will limit top rpm and not go to 9k. Caps out in the 7-7500 rpm range. A bit more heat and it goes to full rpm.
Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hit 90 at times hot or cold and it blast up to 145 easy and no it’s not gas sounds like slipping rpm revs up that why I let of for second or two then throttle back up and it goes fast again. I can’t figure it out. Doesn’t slip or anything at top speeds just at times it does it I thought maybe one of the new clutch’s but don’t figure in since not in turns when it slips. Original clutch and I’d really stay original clutch since other slips a lot I’ve heard

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Clutch only slips at 90 no other time I just went out and it’s fine right now could it be pressure related maybe
Time for a new clutch. 90 might be the limiting point currently and when it does slip this extra friction heat expands the plates and make it grab a bit more. This is likely what's causing your observations by letting off and then it reaches a higher speed next time. It will slowly start slipping sooner and eventually not grab under high loads. The key thing here is expansion of plates from slipping, offering the springs on the clutch pack more pressure, temporarily.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Agree with Ron and yes, it might need a new clutch, ( if so put a new H-D slipper clutch in it - about $ 260 ) it'll shift much better especially on downshifts. Also Prior owner may have put friction modified oil in it, (Car Oil) and contaminated the clutch plates - Before replacing the clutch you could if you want try this - just get the engine good and hot, drain the oil immediately & change the oil to a 20W50 Mobil 1, Motul, or Amsoil product that states " For Motorcycles" WET CLUTCH COMPATIBLE on the label - also be sure to change oil filter. You can even use Motul4T 3000 20W50 Mineral " Break in Oil " that will help clean the plates on the clutch even better, ( available at Cycle Gear ) but only ride it maybe 300 miles or so and change it again back to a full synthetic as mentioned prior. Good luck -search clutch slipping here on the site there's lots of discussion - how many miles on the bike ?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,555 Posts
How many miles are on the bike?
The in tank fuel filter on the early models was known to have an issue and could intermittently affect fuel flow. This would generally begin to manifest itself at around 10k miles.
The filter is a flat fabric sock about 1.5" wide x 3" long, with a small piece of expanded plastic mesh inside to keep the sock from collapsing. This piece of plastic would shift around within the sock causing it to suck against the intake opening and only draw fuel through a small area, about 3/8" in diameter. This small spot would become dirty in time and restrict flow to the engine.
As I said the mesh would float around within the sock so it was generally open but if it floated away from the opening the sock would collapse causing starvation.
Happened to me and bugged the crap out of me for a few months.
Temporary cure was pull the fuel unit from tank, shift the mesh to where the obvious dark (dirty) spot on the sock was and staple it in place. Or replace the filter sock with a Bosch replacement.
Make sure though you have a new replacement tank lid o-ring because the old one will have grown with fuel exposure and you'll never be able to get it back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts