Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone found a work-around for the tools I've pictured below. I have all the rest of the specialty service tools I'll need for my EVIL TWIN S/C build but haven't been able to get these yet. If there is a work around, please describe. Otherwise, I'm on the hunt!

Font Parallel Office supplies Rectangle

Eye Rectangle Font Parallel Wood

Cosmetics Tool Office supplies Font Parallel

Font Parallel Elbow Drawing Rectangle

Office supplies Writing implement Line Font Auto part

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
gasket alignment dowels/ grind the head off 2 allen bolts
trans holder I made out of a piece of flat poly and replicated factory tool
crank retainer really not needed
Crankcase aligning dowels/ used all thread and heat shrink over the entire section except for the small area need to thread in the case
Flywheel fixture HD-44358 is not a VRSC tool. It is for Air cooled Harleys

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I have not bought any HD special tools but made few when needed. Do not remember them all but one good example is when changing tranny bearings and oops output flange and that tight nut is still there. Piece of little thicker aluminium plate where is bigger hole drilled in the center for the socket and three smaller for the flange secured in vise will do the trick.

Tough hex bolt for removing alternator flywheel is needed but it can be found from the hardware store etc. Remember to put lube in the threads and the tip.

When oil pump is removed there is 3/8 square hole which is very handy in many phases. Turning engine as well fixing crank when tightening the nuts.

Rebuilding engine needs innovate approach for the best practices using regular tools :)

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Most I made and bought a few of them. Crank retainer halves HD45316 , got it cheap enough so why not? Zip ties work too. Any alignment bolts can be had at a bolt supply, even those 10mm case alignment bolts, 7-8" I believe they were. There are work arounds to most of them though. Just need to be creative. Secondary tensioner tool and the valve tappet compression tools are the more desirable to have. The rest, easy to fudge something up.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I just received from my H-D dealer ( after 7 months :rolleyes: ) the final part to complete the used balancer bearing remover / installer tool I bought - Exercising my tool fetish I've got virtually every engine R & R mx tool now to make my Revo 1250 Stg 2 engine upgrade job smoother and easier, got probably $ 1500 - $ 2000 in them, all I need is the time to use them which should be fairly soon. It was kinda fun finding them all and I got a helpful heads up from Ron and a couple other members here when they came up on e bay so I could snag them. The real issue is most internal engine parts are pending obsolete so sourcing new parts is the next problem, used parts are easily available but some parts need to be new. Having all the tools is great but useless if you don't have the internal engine parts. I've got everything needed for one fun top quality engine build which is all I need for me and my expected riding for the next 10 years - after that I'll sell the tools, don't think I'll be starting a Revo repair shop in retirement but ya never know -(y):cool:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I lost out on the balance shaft tools by a day a while back. I also have a tool fetish. I did happen to find brand new OE crankshafts in the box on E-Bay for $328 OBO. I just grabbed one incase of a bearing failure down the road, and to have a spare backup for the 2 VRSC's I own. Gonna order the bearing sets to keep with it, once I have color code from the crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts