Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a repair shop that the V Rod transmission required special tools that only Harley has and not available to independent mechanics. Is this accurate or a way of telling me that he doesn't want to work on my bike.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not True....

I was told by a repair shop that the V Rod transmission required special tools that only Harley has and not available to independent mechanics. Is this accurate or a way of telling me that he doesn't want to work on my bike.
That's bullshit. Find out the part number of the tools you think you need then just enter the part number in Google and most likely you'll get search results showing sellers and prices of the tools. To define your search a bit more you could also include the name of the tool(s) you're looking for. When I first got my VRSCF I started accumulating V-Rod specific tools. I also made some myself that work just as good as the OEM tools. I believe there might be shops that rent specific tools for days, weeks and months. You put up a significant deposit down in case you don't return them or damage them after use but you get that back after.
You're saying you are looking for tranny tools but I've got some V-Rod specific tools I'd sell, such as valve lash feeler gauges, crank turning tool, swingarm bushing & bearings puller/installation tools and probably a few more.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
While the tools make life a bit easier and I have a couple, none are an absolute must have. There are work arounds if you don't have the specific tool called out in the manual.
Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking. Why do so many mechanics shy away from the V Rod? All the independent mechanics in the area but one are telling me to take it to Harley. Harley in the area doesn't seem keen on working on the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts