Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I'm trying to change the springs from the front suspension forks on my 2012 Night-Rod but I just found out that i need a special tool to release the inner nut on one of the forks., honestly I don't want to buy the tool because cost almost 200 dls and will be used once only, so anybody have this tool that can rent it for use it on my mechanical project???

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could be wrong but Night Rods did come with Inverted Forks in 2012? if so you going to need more then just that tool to release the inner nut and if your talking the innerspring nut ( Spring Compressor ) that tool is 29 dollars, There are four tools that come to mind for Inverted Cartridge forks. Spring Compressor, Fork Bleed Tool,43MM seal driver, and Allen extensions and if you never worked on Inverted forks they are a challenge but can be done and you have to remove them off the Bike and work on a bench cause you're disabling the complete forks to replace springs and if was me I would throw in Seals and bushings and a gold valve kit since those Harley forks sucked like a pogo stick and I bet the fork oil is the same that left the factory so those bushings are worn along with the fork oil .. Skill level for inverted 5 Beards but can be done.

Now if you have Damping rod syle those are easy and there are two ways..Skill Level One Beard
Some people say No Need to pull forks or disassemble just raise the bike and loosen the top pinch bolts take the caps off but be careful as they are still under pressure you can ruin your smile. A steel tube, a washer, and the springs will just pull and slide out. Reverse the order with your new springs and they say you are done always wondered how do you get the fork oil level correct.

Skill level two and one-half Beards due to attention to detail
If it was me after I remove the Top caps with the bike off the ground I would then loosen all the pinch bolts and slide the tubes out and drain them remove the bottom bolt that secures the dampening rod and lower leg helps to have an impact gun air or electric for that step but heard some people break them loose with hand tools while the bike is on the ground and the spring and weight of the bike are up against the dampening rod I just think that makes a big mess oil leaking out the bottom getting all over the floor

After that, you can clean everything inspect it along with replacing seals and bushings then just reverse the order and re-assemble and add the correct amount of oil to each fork leg. You see the other way when you pull the springs and steel tube you removed a good amount of oil and no way of knowing how much to add back and you never get the proper dampening overfill it-you could die underfill it you could tuck the front end going into a hard turn and die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeff, you are right. I have the inverted fork suspension. Thank you so munch for all the advise, I have all the tools except the one to release the inner nut. A lot of your comments make sense and awake some of my questions and make me considering to change the process on the labor. Thank you,...

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts