Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my plugs tonight and had one problem. I used the harley service manual for the torque settings. Plugs went in fine but the coil pack on top didn't. I twisted off one of the bolts on the front coil pack. I am a little distribured about this for one reason. I used the torque settings from the manual instead of hand feel with a ratchet. Has anyone had this happen to them? I was lucky because I was able to lock a visegrip onto the screw and twist it back out but what a potential huge mess. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I went for the hand feel when I changed mine out a couple of weeks ago. I have never felt that comfortable using torque setting on these types of jobs.

My motto - 'never be tempted to give it that extra 1/2 turn'

Jon

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Torque specs on some fastners IMHO can get you into trouble. I use the torque wrench on critical fastners, rods, mains, case bolts etc. I do not use them for most minor items. Loctite can also be your friend on a motorcycle that has vibration.

The coil is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick at the location your bolt broke, I hope that when you lift it back up it leaves enough of the bolt sticking up to grab with vise grips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts