Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what you think. Am I too rich, too lean? These are the original plugs (front cylinder is on the left of each picture).

Also, is it normal to have oil in the hole where the plugs go? The first time I checked both front and back cylinders where about half full of clean oil... I cleaned it all out, used degreaser on the rubber spark tube. put it all back together and everything seems fine but I don't understand where all the oil came from...

Attachments

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
TalkingRain said:
Am I too rich, too lean?..
If you don't know by now - you can never be too rich or too lean.

Seriously - don't leave sparkplugs in for 20,000 miles. Replace them every ten thousand like the service schedule tells you to.

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts
vroddrew said:
If you don't know by now - you can never be too rich or too lean.
I thought if it got too lean you could burn valves & pistons?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Bulkman said:
I thought if it got too lean you could burn valves & pistons?
You can. I believe Drew is talking about pocket books and body fat.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Plug companies say they last for 20K

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took them out at 10k but they looked so good I put them back in. Checked again at 15k, they still looked pretty good. They just now are looking a little pitted so they are history but am still impressed they look this good at 20k...

·
Registered
616 Posts
One thing ive never understoond. The same standard plug (non-platinum) in a car will call for replacement at 30,000 miles. In a bike its 10,000. I will change mine at 10k just to take a look at em, but probably not necessary.

·
Lock Talk Squawk
170 Posts
What part of WA are you in? I miss Seattle...

Sounds like you did the right thing. The color looks good. A small amount of oil in that area is normal, the amount you describe seems excessive. Oh, and don't worry about the first response you got, that guy is more worried about cutting people down and political correctness than answering people's questions!

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
Plugs look good. The oil thing would worry me some. It came from a leaking valve cover gasket that encircles the plug hole. Maybe sealed up on its own if it quit filling with oil. Not to hard to fix, just have to remove the valve covers and put in new gaskets. If you get your valves checked at the 20,000 mile check that should get fixed.

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Correct me if im wrong. Doesn't the V-rod's computer utilize the spark plugs as an ion type knock sensor? If so i'd really want the system to work tops. I'd change 'em according to the svc manual!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Near perfect combustion going on but dont push your luck. When you asked the manufacturer the life span, did they ask how many cylinders the engine has or was that VROD specific? The more cylinders the longer (in miles) the plug life.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just halfway through a 600 mile ride. Yesterday I got 50 mpg on the HW at between 60 and 70 mph. Not bad with a 240 tire, Topless, K&N filter, Power commander, V-mods, 30 tooth pulley & Mobile One synthetic oil....

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
TalkingRain said:
I took them out at 10k but they looked so good I put them back in. Checked again at 15k, they still looked pretty good. They just now are looking a little pitted so they are history but am still impressed they look this good at 20k...
you went through the whole battery, stacks, box bottom box removal and left the old plugs in anyways? Twice? They are like $5 each correct? strange to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
EZE RIDER said:
Near perfect combustion going on but dont push your luck. When you asked the manufacturer the life span, did they ask how many cylinders the engine has or was that VROD specific? The more cylinders the longer (in miles) the plug life.
I agree. I run my Vrod at maybe 4-5000 rpm on the highway while my small block Chevy in my truck is almost idling at about 1500rpm. That´s a lot more sparks pr/mile on the bike.

However your spark plugs look good to me, just about good time to replace ´em now:)

When you checked them at 10K & 15K did you interchange them or put them back in same cylinders? The back one looks a bit worse but could be normal. I guess the back cylinder runs a bit hotter!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Pulled and replaced my plugs today at 21,023 miles. I pulled, cleaned, re-gapped, and reinstalled them at 10k. Rear plug gap was at .042 upon removal, front @ .040. Spec is .035.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Pulled and replaced my plugs today at 21,023 miles. I pulled, cleaned, re-gapped, and reinstalled them at 10k. Rear plug gap was at .042 upon removal, front @ .040. Spec is .038.

[\quote]
My manual (2007) says .035". Not that's a big differnece.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The one on the right shows more wear at the electrode.
From the looks of the porcelain and the ground strap,it's no wonder you get such high fuel mileage.Both look like the mixture is lean.

·
Registered
684 Posts
you went through the whole battery, stacks, box bottom box removal and left the old plugs in anyways? Twice? They are like $5 each correct? strange to me.
I'am with you Iam getting ready to go on a road trip so the other day I got 2 new plug's the old one's had under 10 thousand mile's on them I did not think i needed new one's because I had changed them before my last trip but I was going to check the gap so I figured for the price I would just put new one's in I went and set the gap on the new one' at what the manuel say's 0.035 then checked the one's I took out was so close to the same you could not tell color look grate nice and almost white . I thought it would run about the same But it made diffrence you could tell . From now on if my plug's come out they go to Trash

1 - 20 of 36 Posts